BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jan_t_lagen
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I'm trying to solve a nested optimization problem with SAS/IML, specifically): opt3.PNGopt4.PNG

I'm not sure how to handle the input vs global variables in this case (which I think is why it is not working). I don't know how to handle z.  This is what i have so far:

/* function P*/
start P(z) global(h,b,p1,p2,a_inter,X_I);
   return( sum(h#(CDF('NORMAL',(b-p1#(X_I*(a_inter*(z`))))/p2))) );
finish;

/* derivative of theta function*/
start deri(theta_x) global(l,h,z);
    return( l - sum(P(z)#h#exp(h*theta_x)/( P(z)#(exp(h*theta_x)-1) + 1 ) ) );
finish;

/* finding root of theta function*/
start theta(z);
bounds = {0,10000};
 return( froot( "deri", bounds) );
finish;

/*main function*/
start Func(z) global(l,h);
    return( -theta(z)*l + (sum(log(1 + P(z)#(exp(h#theta(z)) - 1) ) )) - 0.5*z*(z`) );
finish;

z = RANDNORMAL(S,0, 1); /*x0*/
z = (z`);
opt = {1,2};
call nlpnra(rc, result, "Func", z, opt);

Given that the equations are done correctly, how would I set this up so that the root/derivative function can make use if the current z that the optimization algorithm is evaluating? Is there something else that is wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

You haven't defined S, l, or h.

I suggest you start by reading the article "Ten tips before you run an optimization." You also might want to look at "Optimizing a function of an integral," which optimizes a function that in turn calls other functions.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

You haven't defined S, l, or h.

I suggest you start by reading the article "Ten tips before you run an optimization." You also might want to look at "Optimizing a function of an integral," which optimizes a function that in turn calls other functions.

jan_t_lagen
Calcite | Level 5

I should have shown the step where i define them, my bad. (They are all vectors of length 1xN)

I'll start reading up on what you linked me, thank you!

PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

Haven't looked through your functions in depth, but have have a few parameters, which you have not defined yet. Eg S and I.

Also, why do you set z = (z`) ?

jan_t_lagen
Calcite | Level 5

Sorry for the confusion, i should have shown the step where I import the other variables, all of them are defined vectors (1xN) 

When trying the function one by one it seemed as z was transposed when i sent it in so i just did that as a quick fix.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

From The DO Loop
Want more? Visit our blog for more articles like these.
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation