BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Ajay88
Calcite | Level 5

A simple module for finding row-wise cumulative sum in IML:

Proc IML;

Start rowcumsum(x);
      Step1 = cusum(x);
      Step2 = 0 // Step1[1:nrow(Step1)-1,ncol(Step1)];
      Output = Step1 - repeat(Step2,1,ncol(Step1));
      return(Output);
Finish rowcumsum;

a = {1 2 3,4 5 6, 7 8 9};
SASCUSUM = cusum(a);
ROWCUSUM = rowcumsum(a);

print a; print SASCUSUM; Print ROWCUSUM;
Quit;

a

01 02 03

04 05 06

07 08 09

SASCUSUM

01 03 06

10 15 21

28 36 45

ROWCUSUM

01 03 06

04 09 15

07 15 24

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

You didn't ask a question, so I can't tell whether you are saying "here is how to do this" or whether you are asking "is this the best way to do this."

If the former, yes, this is a good way to compute cumulative sums across rows of a matrix.It is a clever algorithm.

If you are asking whether this is the fastest way, I'll offer two observations: you can use the LAG function (introduced in SAS/IML 9.22) to speed up Step2, and you don't need the REPEAT function when forming the OUTPUT matrix. Thus the following code is slightly more efficient:

start rs(x);

Step1 = cusum(x);

Step2 = lag(Step1[,ncol(Step1)], 1); /* returns missing in Step2[1] */

Step2[1] = 0; /* replace missing value with 0 */

Output = Step1 - Step2;

return( Output);

finish;

Unless your matrices are huge, it doesn't really matter which module you run. In fact, unless the number of rows is huge, you can just use a simple DO loop and the computation is just as fast:

Output = j(nrow(x), ncol(x));

do i = 1 to nrow(x);

Output[i,] = cusum(x[i,]);

end;

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

You didn't ask a question, so I can't tell whether you are saying "here is how to do this" or whether you are asking "is this the best way to do this."

If the former, yes, this is a good way to compute cumulative sums across rows of a matrix.It is a clever algorithm.

If you are asking whether this is the fastest way, I'll offer two observations: you can use the LAG function (introduced in SAS/IML 9.22) to speed up Step2, and you don't need the REPEAT function when forming the OUTPUT matrix. Thus the following code is slightly more efficient:

start rs(x);

Step1 = cusum(x);

Step2 = lag(Step1[,ncol(Step1)], 1); /* returns missing in Step2[1] */

Step2[1] = 0; /* replace missing value with 0 */

Output = Step1 - Step2;

return( Output);

finish;

Unless your matrices are huge, it doesn't really matter which module you run. In fact, unless the number of rows is huge, you can just use a simple DO loop and the computation is just as fast:

Output = j(nrow(x), ncol(x));

do i = 1 to nrow(x);

Output[i,] = cusum(x[i,]);

end;

Ajay88
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the variations, Rick. I just wanted to share the piece of code that I repeatedly found useful.

My co's yet to make the step up from 9.20, which is slightly irritating because 9.22 has a decent set of functions introduced ... so instead of say, cuprod(x) which is available in 9.22, I use exp(cusum(log(x)))

The loop increases the computation time drastically if this function is used within an optimization code. I noticed IML has this amazing speed-up (nearly 15x) for vectorized vs loop section (similar results to your blog post on running mean and variance).The results were a bit surprising because MATLAB hardly produced a 1.5x speedup for the same optimization code, and a fully vectorized optimization code in IML runs 3x faster than the same code in MATLAB!

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Impressive results! Congratulations, and thanks for sharing!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

From The DO Loop
Want more? Visit our blog for more articles like these.
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation