BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
MsGeritO
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

I would like to calculate the sum of a variable for each level conditional of the value of a third (and fourth) variable. Without the condition everything is fine:

data somedata;
input id euro dummy1 dummy2;
cards;
1 12 0 1
1 23 1 1
1 56 1 1
1 23 1 0
2 22 0 1
2 24 1 1
2 34 1 1
2 10 1 0
3 19 0 1
3 28 1 1
3 56 1 1
3 21 1 0
4 21 0 1
4 34 1 1
4 32 1 1
4 43 1 0
;
run;

proc iml;

use work.somedata;

read all;

uqid = unique(id);

totalcost = j(1,ncol(uqid));

do i = 1 to ncol(uqid);

idx = loc(id = uqid[i]);

totalcost[i] = sum(euro[idx]);

end;

print totalcost;

quit;

Now I would like to add something like

if dummy1 = 1 then do;

or even

if ( dummy1 = 1 & dummy2 = 1 ) then do;

However, I cannot get it to run through. Adding

do i = 1 to ncol(uqid) while (dummy1 = 1);

gives the wrong results.

It looks like a simple idea to me, but I seem to be searching for the wrong keywords on the internet. Any pointers are greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

Greetings from Germany.

Gerit

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
IanWakeling
Barite | Level 11

I presume you have some combinations of id and dummy with no data.   So you should only attempt to calculate the sum where there is at least one value.   Adding something like:

if ncol(idx)>0 then pkkst[i] = sum(euro[idx]); else pkkst[i]= . ;

should work.  

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
IanWakeling
Barite | Level 11

You are adding the reference to your dummy variables in the wrong place.   It needs to be within the LOC function, so you can pick out all the elements where the id is correct and the dummy variable is set.  Try using syntax like this:

do i = 1 to ncol(uqid);
        idx = loc( id = uqid[i] & dummy1 = 1 );
        totalcost[i] = sum(euro[idx]);
   end;
MsGeritO
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you Ian. It runs like a beauty on the sample set.

My original data set still puts up a fight though. Here "dummy1" is also numeric (as everything else). The data set is unsorted, has 68 columns, 198 individuals (id numbers) and 285,923 observations.

After the equivalent line of the summation (totalcost[i] = sum(euro[idx]); ) I get the error message: "(execution) Matrix has not been set to a value." I am guessing that "idx" has not been filled with values properly in the preceding line (idx = loc(id = uqid[i] & dummy1 = 1); )

The original code reads:

proc iml;
   use work.gesamt;
   read all ;                
   uqid = unique(id);        
   pkkst = j(1, ncol(uqid));        
   skkst = j(1, ncol(uqid));

do i = 1 to ncol(uqid) ;           
         idx = loc(id = uqid[i] & pk = 1);
         pkkst[i] = sum(euro[idx]);     
      end;
       do i = 1 to ncol(uqid) ;           
         idx = loc(id = uqid[i] & sk = 1);
         skkst[i] = sum(euro[idx]);     
      end;

print pkkst skkst;
quit;

Any further ideas?

Thank you again.

IanWakeling
Barite | Level 11

I presume you have some combinations of id and dummy with no data.   So you should only attempt to calculate the sum where there is at least one value.   Adding something like:

if ncol(idx)>0 then pkkst[i] = sum(euro[idx]); else pkkst[i]= . ;

should work.  

MsGeritO
Obsidian | Level 7

Fireworks!

Thank you very much.

Side effect: I need to check why there are these empty combinations. The real life behind it says there shouldn't be.

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

If the condition is not satisfied, IML will return an empty matrix, which is an invalid subscript.  See the article "Beware the naked LOC."

The solution is to test the index before you use it:

if ncol(idx)>0 then 
   pkkst[i] = sum(euro[idx]);   
else 
   pkkst[i] = .; /* or zero? */

By the way, this technique is called the "UNIQUE-LOC technique."   If this technique takes too long because there are many unique categories, you might want to try an alternative technique known as the UNIQUEBY technique. See "An efficient alternative to the UNIQUE-LOC technique."

MsGeritO
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you for the pointer on the uniqueby. Now that I have a solution to the initiating issue I will look into more efficiency as it is already on the slow side and this is just the start of my calculations.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

From The DO Loop
Want more? Visit our blog for more articles like these.
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation