BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
mra
Calcite | Level 5 mra
Calcite | Level 5

Dear Colleagues

Many thanks for insightful discussion on my question. I am back very late but I haven been following the discussion with interest, and alongside also trying to work on my SAS question further. I think, it goes fine now. Particularly, one can compare the rannor() function with randnormal() and I feel the later one is easier to use and manipulate, even for several non-normal cases.

Since, Rick had already stated about his book which I have now and I find it very helpful.

But, I also have another short question here, and I hope you can help me figure it out much quicker. I usually write my programs in SAS/IML, but this time I started with R and the program works fine, although R's speed for that program is painfully slow. I am writing the same thing in SAS/IML for which I need to compute all possible distinct combinations of size, say k, out of, say n, elements. Simply, I want a SAS function that does exactly what permutations() function does in R's gtools package. I have gone through LEXPERK(), ALLPERM() etc. It seems LEXPERK() is the closest option but it needs the variable list as well which I have but I want to use the list later, First, I only need to make all permutations, say permutations(10, 4) in R's function. Any idea? The other functions do not fit very well into my query - I suppose.

Many thanks and all the best

MRA

12 REPLIES 12
mra
Calcite | Level 5 mra
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Rick

you are right, I have opened a new thread here.

I have gone through the combinatorial functions and also your old posts on this subject. It seems, only LEXPERK can do what I need, but the 'variables' option in its arguments is a problem. As, I shall use the output matrix of these, say (n, k) = (10, 4), permutations in a loop for different n's and possibly k's, it is better if I can generate it without variables option, or somehow manipulate this option to get what I need.

In any case, I am trying it in different ways to figure it out  - if possible.

Ksharp
Super User

Check GRAYCODE() of data step. of course it could be used in IML too .

Astounding
PROC Star

mra,

I'm not sure if this will help or not, but I have had to tackle this sort of problem in SAS (not in SAS/IML).  This would be a piece of a DATA step:

array vars {10} var1-var10;

do a=1 to 7;

do b=a+1 to 8;

do c=b+1 to 9;

do d=c+1 to 10;

*** Code that refers to array elements a, b, c, and d;

end; end;  end; end;

You would get each combination of 4 exactly once, in the innermost loop.  Perhaps this line of thought would help in SAS/IML ?

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Cross-linking to the other thread: https://communities.sas.com/message/281211#281211

mra
Calcite | Level 5 mra
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Xia

I think Graycode() is not the solution. In fact, I feel that SAS does not offer a simple solution to this very simple problem of basic probability theory. There are many functions for combinations/permutations, but only the random ones work directly (they generate repeated combinations/permutations which I don't need; e.g. ranperm() ). It is only LEXPERK() that can solve my problem but a seemingly unnecessary argument of 'variables list' in there is an issue. The one-line R function permutations() works wonderful and the code is also running perfectly well but it is just the amount of time it takes. So, following my usual simulation policy, I have to do it in IML but then the LEXPERK() thing. I had already read Rick's older posts before I posted this message but Rick's codes don't address the all possible unique permutations question either.

/RA.

Ksharp
Super User

I am a little confused . How could you generate permutation if you miss the 'variables'  arguments in LEXPERK () .

Can you make an example to illustrate it ?

mra
Calcite | Level 5 mra
Calcite | Level 5

Hi

I am not saying that I can or I did in LEXPERK() w.o. variables list. In R function permutations(), one can do it and I just need the same result as R function gives. It seems LEXPERK gives this same result but needs variable list. I tried this list as 1:n (n specified, say 10) but did not work. Following the syntax of LEXPERK(), something like lexperk(m, k, 1:n) or lexperk(m, k, x1, x2, . . ., xn) should work with if I want to generate m distinct permutations for n items taken k at a time; e.g. m = 5040 if n = 10, k = 4. In R, I only need to give n and k, but in SAS also the variables. In my case, I shall use the functions lexperk() repeatedly in a loop for many different n's, so I am trying to somehow 'manipulate' the variables option in a way that I only get the distinct permutations list, i.e. nP4, as R function gives. I hope it is relatively clear now.

All the best

Ksharp
Super User

I am not familiar with R function . Do you mean take 1 2 3 4 ...... as 'variables' argument in LEXPERK() ?

Code: Program

data _null_;
array x[10]  (1:10);
n=dim(x);
k=3;
nperm=perm(n,k);
do j=1 to nperm+1;
rc=lexperk(j, k, of x[*]);
put j 5. +3 x1-x3 +3 rc=;
if rc<0 then leave;
end;
run;

Log: Program

Notes (1)

1 OPTIONS NONOTES NOSTIMER NOSOURCE NOSYNTAXCHECK;

54 data _null_;

55 array x[10] (1:10);

56 n=dim(x);

57 k=3;

58 nperm=perm(n,k);

59 do j=1 to nperm+1;

60 rc=lexperk(j, k, of x

• );
  • 61 put j 5. +3 x1-x3 +3 rc=;

62 if rc<0 then leave;

63 end;

64 run;

1 1 2 3 rc=1

2 1 2 4 rc=3

3 1 2 5 rc=3

4 1 2 6 rc=3

5 1 2 7 rc=3

6 1 2 8 rc=3

7 1 2 9 rc=3

8 1 2 10 rc=3

9 1 3 2 rc=2

10 1 3 4 rc=3

11 1 3 5 rc=3

12 1 3 6 rc=3

13 1 3 7 rc=3

14 1 3 8 rc=3

15 1 3 9 rc=3

16 1 3 10 rc=3

17 1 4 2 rc=2

18 1 4 3 rc=3

19 1 4 5 rc=3

20 1 4 6 rc=3

21 1 4 7 rc=3

22 1 4 8 rc=3

23 1 4 9 rc=3

24 1 4 10 rc=3

25 1 5 2 rc=2

26 1 5 3 rc=3

27 1 5 4 rc=3

28 1 5 6 rc=3

29 1 5 7 rc=3

Rick_SAS
    SAS Super FREQ

The SAS/IML language enables you to call other SAS procedures and the DATA step.  Since the LEXPERK function does what you need, the simplest solution is to call a DATA step from within your SAS/IML program.  For convenience, you can hide the call by encapsulating it within a module. The following module has the same name as the R function that you refer to. It returns the same data, although not necessarily in the same order. The call to permutations(10,4) takes 0.03 seconds on my PC.

proc iml;
    /* enumerate permutations of k elements from n items,
       including order. By default, the function returns
       a matrix with PERM(n, k) rows. Each row is a way to
       enumerate k integers from the set {1,2,...,n} */  
    start permutations(n, k, v=1:n);
       submit n k;
          data _perk;
             keep x1-x&k;
             array x[&n] x1-x&n;
             n = &n;
             k = &k;
             do j = 1 to n;  x = j;  end;
             nperm=perm(n, k);
             do j=1 to nperm;
                call lexperk(j, k, of x

• );
                output;
             end;
          run;  
       endsubmit;
       use _perk;
       read all var _num_ into x;
       close _perk;
       call delete("_perk");
       if IsSkipped(v) then
          return( x );
       y = shape( v[,x], 0, 2 );
       return( y );
    finish;
  • /* Test 1: Return pairs of letters from {a,b,c,d} */
    v = "a":"d";
    g = permutations(4, 2, v);
    print g;

/* Test 2: Time how long it takes to return 4-tuples from 1:10 */
    t0 = time();
    p = permutations(10, 4);
    elapsed = time()-t0;
    print (dimension(p))[c={"nrow" "ncol"}];
    print elapsed;

IanWakeling
    Barite | Level 11

I think you can work entirely within IML, since it is essentially a 'multiplication' of the matrix from the ALLCOMB(n, k) function, with the matrix from the ALLPERM(k) function.  Again row order is likely to be different.

start permutations(n, k);
      c = allcomb(n, k);
      p = allperm( k );
      nc = nrow( c );
      np = nrow( p );
      a = do(0, nc # k - 1, k)` @ j(np, k) + repeat(p, nc);
      return ( shape( c[a], nc # np, k) );
    finish;

print (permutations( 4, 3) );

[Edited January 2017 - at some point part of the return statement became a link and the code was no longer rendered correctly - converted to a SAS code box to fix the problem]

Rick_SAS
    SAS Super FREQ

Really awesome, Ian!  I tried tp combine ALLCOMB and ALLPERM, but after 30 minutes I still hadn't come up with the right formula.  I'm glad you got it to work. Your way is more efficient than mine.

mra
    Calcite | Level 5 mra
    Calcite | Level 5

Thanks a lot. This obviously works. Particularly, Ian's code is really simple and elegant and it does exactly its job (up to the row order but that doesn't really matter - only the unique list of permutations is needed and that's what the codes gives). It helps speed up the computational burden.

thanks again.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

From The DO Loop
    Want more? Visit our blog for more articles like these.
    Discussion stats
    • 12 replies
    • 1 like
    • 5 in conversation