BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
bonfa
Calcite | Level 5

Good afternoon everyone,

I need to test the distribution of the ratio of two normal variable. I believe that this variable follows the Cauchy distribution. Then I would like to know which procedure can test this hypothesis. And, if this variable does not fit in the distribution of Cauchy, What procedure that I can use for evaluate which distribution the variable follows?

Best regards.

1 REPLY 1
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

I've never done this, but here are some ideas that might help:

1) For a graphical test, use the quantile-quantile plot, as described in this article Modeling the distribution of data? Create a Q-Q plot - The DO Loop

2) Transform your data by the inverse CDF and then test whether the result is uniform.

3) You can use PROC NLMIXED to use MLE as described in this paper for the t-distribution: http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/forum2007/181-2007.pdf

The Cauchy MLE is easy find online.

Of course, if the normal variables are independent, then no need to test, since this is the definition of the Cauchy distribution.

Regarding the question "if this does not fit, what procedure can I use to evaluate which distribution...,"  I recommend that you look at the SEVERITY procedure in SAS/ETS software.  Here is an example: SAS/ETS(R) 13.2 User's Guide

Good luck.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

From The DO Loop
Want more? Visit our blog for more articles like these.
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation