BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
michaela
Calcite | Level 5
I have a table I want to select the maximum id for mulitple records and am having problems figuring out the code. For example what I would like from the list below is

123 b
456 d
678 f

id value

123 a
123 b
456 c
456 d
678 e
678 f

I tried to do a proc sql statement that just brought back 678 f for example because it had the maximum values of all values on the table.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
deleted_user
Not applicable
something like (assuming key is number and letter is ID )

data data;
input key id $ ;
cards;
123 a
123 b
456 c
456 d
678 e
678 f
;
proc sql ;
create table top_keys as
select * from data
group by key
having ID= max(ID) ;
quit;

Won't work on many (non-SAS) platforms and SAS refers to remerging summary with detail.
You may have to be concerned about cases where the largest ID is not unique within a key.
Reeza
Super User

Add the group by statement to your sql code.

If you're doing in PROC SQL without pass through

proc sql;

create table top_keys as

select key, max(id) as max_value

from have

group by id;

quit;

I don't know why Peter is using the having clause, but I don't think you need it unless you want the max for each group in each row as well. If you do then can remerge in a second sql step to avoid the issue Peter has mentioned.

Generally, any variables in the group by statement can be included in the select statement.

saspert
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi,

I think I have the same question and similar code but it does not seem to be working.

PROC SQL;

CREATE TABLE WORK.TD_TST AS

SELECT t1.id,

t1.read_time,

(MAX(t1.read_time)) FORMAT=DATETIME22.3 AS MAX_of_read_time,

t1.pmax_derated,

/* start_date */

(intnx('HOUR',TODAY(),-12)

) LABEL="start_date" AS start_date

FROM PBGMES.td_header t1

WHERE

t1.id ='1...4'

GROUP BY t1.sub_id,

t1.pmax_derated,

(CALCULATED start_date)

/*      having t1.read_time = (MAX(t1.read_time))*/

;

QUIT;

id                   read_time                              max_read_time                         pmax_derated      start_date

130716041724      17JUL2013:13:07:49.000      17JUL2013:13:07:49.000      0                          -25200

130716041724      17JUL2013:14:54:01.000      17JUL2013:14:54:01.000      89.420417786 -25200

Thanks,

saspert

LarryWorley
Fluorite | Level 6

I am not sure why you believe the query is not working, I see two records with the same sub_id and different pmax_derated values, so group by could be working.  But I wonder if the calculation of start_date is what you intended.

I see that you use 'hour' as the interval in intnx and then specify today's date as the start-from..  The today() function returns a date value; so there is a mis-match here.

If you are trying to specify 12:00 noon yesterday as the start time, then you will need something like  (intnx('HOUR',dhms(TODAY(),0,0,),-12) The DHMS converts today's date value to a datetime value which the 'HOUR' interval will work on.

Hope this helps.

saspert
Pyrite | Level 9

Smiley Happy I just followed my colleagues without thinking completely. I think if I remove the field pmax_derated in the group by field, I get what I want - single record for sub_id.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!

New Learning Events in April

Join us for two new fee-based courses: Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS via Live Web Monday-Thursday, April 24-27 from 1:00 to 4:30 PM ET each day. And Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS: Hands-On Programming Workshop via Live Web on Friday, April 28 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM ET.

LEARN MORE

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation