BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
I have read a bit about Bufno, sortsize and SGIO but I its still not still not clear. What really affects performance in a desktop? Fast HDD (10,000 RPM SCSI) or 4GB RAM or multiprocessors?

Does having dual core or quad cores or dual quad cores in a Windows XP 32 bit OS really make SAS execute faster?

By execute I mean just a simple sort of a large dataset (5-50million obs with 10-30 vars). Are we going to see a dramatic reduction in real and cpu time?
2 REPLIES 2
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Check out this SAS note.

http://support.sas.com/techsup/unotes/SN/012/012568.html

If that doesn't satisfy, I know there have been several presentations at the last couple of SUGI's that discussed SAS performance, so you could search them.

If you are still not satisfied, SAS has a performance consulting service that can help on specifics (for a fee, I believe). They were very helpful to us in sizing some new Unix boxes for SAS.

Doc Muhlbaier
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thanks for the reply.

When I posted this question it had to do with the under performance of our very expensive workstations (Dell Precision 670) and how perhaps getting an $9K 690 with a total of 8 cores could help or not help with the situation. I had contacted SAS about this issue a few years ago and the only solution they gave me were the sortsize, bufno and SGIO. That marginally helped with the problem.

The real problem was with hardware which took a random SAN engg. who is totally unfamiliar with SAS to figure out. It as as simple as enabling "read cache" on the RAID controller card.

I wish the help desk person had told us about the SAS performance consulting service (we certainly have the resources for that) rather than saying "Well if you have 4 x 10K RPM SCSI drives in RAID 5 and dual-dual cores and 4GB RAM and sortsize=2g, I guess thats as fast as your processes will ever be."

All it took was a H/W guy to tell us what the problem was........after two years of thinking this is the best it could be, coz SAS said so.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

New Learning Events in April

Join us for two new fee-based courses: Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS via Live Web Monday-Thursday, April 24-27 from 1:00 to 4:30 PM ET each day. And Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS: Hands-On Programming Workshop via Live Web on Friday, April 28 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM ET.

LEARN MORE

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation