do until (eof);
set table2 end=eof;
rc=h0.find();
if rc = 0 then output;
end;
stop;
run;

worked like this SQL-query:

create table test as (select * from table2 t2 right join table1 t1 on t1.Field1 = t2.Field1);

It almost the same, but sql outputs records even they are not in table2 (cause of right join) and data step doesn't do that.
Can somebody please explain how can I force it to output null record?
3 REPLIES 3
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
What you want is a MERGE, not a SET.

* untested code;
PROC SORT DATA=table1; BY field1; RUN;
PROC SORT DATA=table2; BY field2; RUN;

DATA test;
MERGE table2 (in=int2)
table1 (in=in1);
BY field1;
IF in1;
RUN;

You may get slightly different results if there are repeated values of field1 (particularly if there are matching repeats in both datasets).

Doc Muhlbaier
Duke
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thank you for this code, but I need to use hash objects, because there are very large tables and i have no idea how can I do this using merge.
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
If you have an immediate need, I think your best bet for a response is to contact SAS Tech Support.

The problem I'm having with your request is your insistence on using Hash tables. Even if you have a large file, a hash table might not be the best way to get a count and a sum, even with the need to do the join. On the other hand, a hash table might be the right approach. Only Tech Support can tell you for sure. Like Doc, I would use Proc Means or Proc Tabulate, both of which are highly efficient at summarizing and/or counting.

However, since you really seem to want a hash table approach, then Tech Support would be the right people to help you. They can find out ALL the specifics of your big tables and help you with a solution in a timely manner.

cynthia

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

New Learning Events in April

Join us for two new fee-based courses: Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS via Live Web Monday-Thursday, April 24-27 from 1:00 to 4:30 PM ET each day. And Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS: Hands-On Programming Workshop via Live Web on Friday, April 28 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM ET.

LEARN MORE

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation