BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
louisehadden
Quartz | Level 8

A few Swalphins ago, there was an optional pre-conference Cape Canaveral tour (this was when there were still NASA shuttles) - any thoughts on this?  They have / had a shuttle simulator which kind of thrills this old geek....  Not that there won't be excitement enough at the conference!

6 REPLIES 6
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

I assume you mean "Kennedy Space Center." Although there are no longer shuttles on the pad, you can see Atlantis from about 20 feet away, which is even better. It is a lot of fun for any space and history buff. they also look ahead, with a new exhibit dedicated to the challenges of a manned mission to Mars.

Even if there is no group tour, it is easy to rent a car at the Airport. It takes about 1 hour to reach the Space Coast (on a toll road), and it is a straight shot, so easy to get there.  I'd allow 5-6 hours to tour if you want to include the bus tour and the Apollo/Saturn V Center.

AndrewHowell
I'd be interested in getting a group together - best before or after SGF? (Thinking before..)
louisehadden
Quartz | Level 8
Yes, I think before is best as well! I'll probably be a presenter coordinator and will be booked up myself from Sunday on...
slugolicious
SAS Employee

That'd be cool. I'd be up for carpooling for a tour, but unlike others, I'd prefer after SGF when all the pressure is off and I can enjoy it.

AndrewHowell

It depends when people arrive and how they feel? I'm coming from Oz, so that will be a 25 hour flight (give or take), depending on wait times in LA or Dallas. Plus timezone adjustment..

The reason I suggested doing it beforehand is I find attendees to tend to use the weekend before to do both pre-SGF SAS stuff, plus explore to nearby surrounds; whereas by the time the Forum ends, most people tend to be "done" and go home on the final afternoon.

Anyway, just a thought.. We can decide close to the event once we have a better idea of the agenda..

AndrewHowell

Hey Louise, I'm starting to finalise my timetable, so definitely hoping to include a visit to Cape Canaveral / Kennedy.

I arrive Thursday afternoon, so free (albeit slightly jetlagged) Friday & Saturday, but have to leave Wednesday evening.

So wondering who's up for a car-pool tour?

Andrew.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 9 likes
  • 4 in conversation