BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sas_9
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Guys -

Our company is planning for getting new forecast SAS Applications. Can you please guys tell me what are the good one at higher cost and lower cost. I wanted to know from cost perspective because my company is concerning about cost ---

your any comment would greatly appreciated...

Thanks Friends...

9 REPLIES 9
udo_sas
SAS Employee

Hello -

You will find plenty of information here: http://www.sas.com/technologies/analytics/forecasting/index.html - you might want to also have a look at our latest addition to our forecasting portfolio: SAS Forecasting for Desktop - http://www.sas.com/reg/wp/corp/53238/register.do).

Thanks,

Udo

sas_9
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for your comment udo - still i need to look for more details because we have SAS Forecast Studio on board and users have found its not that helpful at some point where they want forecasting very specific things...

so still waiting for something that would more meaningful to us...

Thanks!

udo_sas
SAS Employee

Hello -

Would you mind to elaborate what these "very specific things" are?

Thanks,

Udo

sas_9
Obsidian | Level 7

Sure Udo - 

I don't have much info. here at my new project since i just join here but let me give you more inside if you can help me better. First thing is, they have some history data (3 years) coming from SAP Data Warehouse and some weekly and monthly data coming from SAP Applications that they r using for forecasting in SAS 9.1.3. They bought SAS FS before long back but at some point they were not able to "build some extra variables using history and weekly/monthly data coming from SAP by using may be wizard in FS (I didn't use SAS SF - SORRY) or may be with some code", i am not sure because i am not analyst but this is what they are saying...basically SAS FS was not giving them the result they wanted to see or what they are expecting to see...so they just drop to use it...

So as i am new Admin here onsite, i am wondering if SAS FS is not working for them, which application would be more meaningful in order to create more innovative and excited results from analyst perspective...

hope this helps to figure...Once i will have site number and every detail from my company - i can check with SAS Technical support that what suggestions are they have for me...

Thanks for your time!

Reeza
Super User

What are their requirements? What are they using instead?

Are they looking for a point and click interface or programming interface? Any specific models that they're trying to run?

sas_9
Obsidian | Level 7

Hey Reeza - at this point they are only using TWS (Tivoli Workload Scheduler) console to schedule automates, monitors and controls workflow throughout the IT infrastructure and may be other SAS application for forecasting...from analyst stand point, i am sorry but i cannot tell you more than what i have mentioned in my previous comment why they have stopped to use SAS FS, don't have much idea...

The only thing i am trying to figure out right now is what are other the SAS Forecasting Applications that we might need to use in order to get more meaningful results in forecasting means other than (SAS FS)...or what are the other tools working good apart from SAS FS for forecasting...

if its make sense for you...

Thanks!

Reeza
Super User

But how do you evaluate a tool if you don't know the criteria they're after?

udo_sas
SAS Employee

Hello -

Please excuse for delay - only returning now from A2013 in London.

You wrote: "build some extra variables using history and weekly/monthly data coming from SAP by using may be wizard in FS (I didn't use SAS SF - SORRY) or may be with some code".

We like to distinguish between modeling tasks and data preparation tasks for several reasons, including security considerations and frequency of updates.

As your data is stored in a SAP Data Warehouse and some weekly and monthly data coming from SAP Applications you may want to consider using for example SAS Enterprise Guide to access and modifying your data before you load your data mart to SAS Forecast Server. By using SAS Data Surveyor for SAP you will have direct access to your SAP data and don't need to use any workarounds like exporting the data from SAP first using ASCII files or similar.

You wrote: "basically SAS FS was not giving them the result they wanted to see or what they are expecting to see...so they just drop to use it..." - how did they set their expectations and how do they compare the accuracy of the results they are archiving?

My esteemed colleague Mike Gilliland recently delivered a Foresight/SAS Webinar Series on the topic of Forecast Value Added. More information can be found in this blog post: http://blogs.sas.com/content/forecasting/2013/06/17/forecast-value-added-a-reality-check-on-forecast...

Thanks,

Udo

sas_9
Obsidian | Level 7

Hey Thanks Udo - I appreciate your time and response. I will work around with all these information.

Thanks all!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation