BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Ghabek
Calcite | Level 5

Hello

Im in VIYA visual forecasting 8.4 and using a dataset to forecast shipments during covid time - data is form Jan-Jun2020 weekly and I want to inject covid events called

covidonset and covidpeak using the code form users guide of VF......Im attaching the sas program here and sample of the dataset used to forecast....I get an error in pipeline saying the name of the event field needs to be CHAR but it is.....dont know what is going on.....

any help to get it working in VF would be appreciated

11 REPLIES 11
solarflare
SAS Employee

Hi Ghabek,

I noticed your covid.sas file is missing a semicolon on the last line.

Try fixing that and rerunning it. I was able to create the event table on VF 8.5 after that.

Ghabek
Calcite | Level 5
i fixed that but i get the error I sent you in the screen shot for the
event table column not being char......anyway we can hop on call quick?

solarflare
SAS Employee

hmm, let me investigate a little more first. I'm less familiar with changes in events between 8.4 and 8.5.

Ghabek
Calcite | Level 5
this is the error o get in pipeline for autoforecasting

[image: image.png]
TammyJackson
SAS Employee
I can't see the image.
Ghabek
Calcite | Level 5
here is the log file.....
TammyJackson
SAS Employee

I can't see the log file, either.

You might find this article helpful:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/Improve-Accuracy-by-Adding-Events-in-SAS-Visu...

Ghabek
Calcite | Level 5

i mainly want to prepare the forecast for a second covid wave in Aug and Sep....do i need to create a new event var called covidwave2 from Aug-sep30??

my data ends Jun 8......

thanks

TammyJackson
SAS Employee

So an event produces a dummy variable that models an effect such as an outlier, level shift or ramp. Modeling the effect improves the model. Often the event is modeled separately, and then the seasonality and the trend are easier to model once the event effect is removed. If an event occurs in history and in forecast, then the impact of the event on history can be used to forecast the future effect of the event. I would suggest first trying to determine the historical effect. Is that effect a temporary level shift? a ramp? You can try different effects, different dates, or even several different effects and then combine the effects. Once you know the historical impact, you might be able to guess better what the future impact will be.

TammyJackson
SAS Employee

In order to use the information obtained from the historical effect on the forecast, you would just use a single event with some timing values (dates or datetimes) in the historical period and some in the forecast period.

Ghabek
Calcite | Level 5

here is the log file......

cant attach it...can i have your email and i can send it?

im a sas partner

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation