BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
somebody
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I am estimating a VAR model with only 2 variable X1 and returns for stocks. Currently, I estimate using PROC VARMAX with a BY statement. I then get the averages across all stocks. My code is :

*Estimating the model;
	dm 'odsresults; clear';ods _all_ close; run; quit;
	ods output ParameterEstimates=parameterEstimates covInnovation=cov ARRoots=ARRoots;;
	proc varmax data=test_sample ;
		by stock;
			model X Return /p=10 method=LS lagmax=10 print=(estimates covpe roots);
			output lead=0;
		run;quit;
	options nomprint;

* Extract the relevant variances and covariances;
	data cov1 (keep=stock var_X); set cov; where variable="X"; var_X=X; run;
	data cov2 (keep=stock var_return); set cov; where variable="return"; var_return=return; run;
	data cov3 (keep=stock covar_X_return); set cov; where variable="X"; covar_X_return=return; run;

I then use these cov datasets as well as the parameterestimates dataset to compute the Impulse Response function for each stock ( I create a random shock and then compute the dynamics with 100 time period). I then get the average across all stocks to get the final numbers for the model. I dont post the code here because I dont want to confuse the readers. 

My questions are:

1. Is there a quick step to estimate the VAR across multiple stocks (or groups such as stock-date)?

2.  what is a quick way to produce the Impulse Response Function? That is 1 set of results for multiple stocks, NOT for each individual stock because I want to estimate for the market as a whole. Note that I would want to see the dynamics for a window that is longer than the number of lag used in the model.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 1 in conversation