BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
timothymbanks
Calcite | Level 5

I would like to know if when developing a UCM model a constant always be included in the model? A co-worker(s) has raised this issue and to my knowledge I have communicated to them that most of the literature that I have researched there has been no literature stating that a constant should always be included in the model.

1 REPLY 1
rselukar
SAS Employee

A constant or trend is NOT included in a UCM model by default.  Similarly, an error component (IRREGULAR) is also NOT included by default.  This is different from other procedures such as PROC REG or PROC ARIMA.  Most often, the modeling of trend is the main purpose so it did not seem reasonable to include a particular type of trend (even a constant) as default.

Of course, this type of design decision is a matter of taste.  At the time of UCM development, I decided that the simple REG case is rare.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation