BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Azhar2
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all

Thanks in advance for reviewing my question.  

I have panel data over 10 periods for 5000 individual customers.  I am doing a proc panel 

MODEL change_in_consumption = current_income + change in previous consumption

I ran a DW test  and got the result below. 

dw.PNG

Can someone help me understand the upper and lower. 

I understand the statistic 1.87  indicative of negative correlation, right? and 2.13 is vice versa.  Are these results significant? 

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASCom1
SAS Employee

The interpretation of Durbin-Watson test output in PROC PANEL is discussed here:

https://go.documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/v_018/etsug/etsug_panel_details69.htm#etsug.panel....

The output shows test results for three tests as discussed in the above section, (1) white noise vs. positive correlation, (2) random walk vs. stationarity, (3), white noise vs. negative correlation. The first 2 tests reported d_rho, while the third test reported is 1-d_rho. In your output, d_rho = 1.87 which applies to the first two tests, 1-d_rho = 2.13, which applies to the third test. 

The reason that two p values (Pr<DWLower and Pr<DWUpper) are produced for these tests is also discussed in the above section:

In finite samples, the mechanics of the Durbin-Watson test produce an indeterminate region, which is a region of uncertainty about whether to reject the null hypothesis. Because of this ambiguity, all three tests report two p-values. The first test and the third test produce Pr < DWLower and Pr < DWUpper. 

How to interpret DW test p values is also discussed in the above section :

For the first and the third test, Pr < DWLower is always greater than or equal to Pr < DWUpper. If Pr < DWLower is less than or equal to the significance level, then the null hypothesis that  rho = 0 is rejected. If Pr < DWUpper is greater than or equal to the significance level, then the null hypothesis is accepted. These two p-values get closer when N increases.

Because your Pr < DWLower for the positive correlation test is smaller than 0.0001, you reject the null of rho = 0 and conclude with positive autocorrelation. Because your Pr<DWUpper for the negative correlation test is equal to 1, greater than significance level, you accept the null and conclude that there is no negative autocorrelation. 

I hope this helps. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I have never used Durbin Watson, so I don't know the answer, but I'm pretty sure Google knows.

--
Paige Miller
sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

Calling @SASCom1 !

I do not understand Durbin-Watson statistic fully in PROC PANEL output neither.

In PROC AUTOREG, you get something like:

sbxkoenk_0-1636316254329.png

, and that's much easier to understand.

[EDIT] 
I also think that 1.87 is the test statistic value for White Noise vs. Positive Correlation hypothesis test
and 2.13 is the test statistic value for White Noise vs. Negative Correlation hypothesis test.

This would mean that the 'White Noise vs. Positive Correlation' label should span across the 1.87 statistic value as well.
The 'rectangles' in the table (the division of the table) are not entirely correct to me.

Thanks,
Koen

SASCom1
SAS Employee

The interpretation of Durbin-Watson test output in PROC PANEL is discussed here:

https://go.documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/v_018/etsug/etsug_panel_details69.htm#etsug.panel....

The output shows test results for three tests as discussed in the above section, (1) white noise vs. positive correlation, (2) random walk vs. stationarity, (3), white noise vs. negative correlation. The first 2 tests reported d_rho, while the third test reported is 1-d_rho. In your output, d_rho = 1.87 which applies to the first two tests, 1-d_rho = 2.13, which applies to the third test. 

The reason that two p values (Pr<DWLower and Pr<DWUpper) are produced for these tests is also discussed in the above section:

In finite samples, the mechanics of the Durbin-Watson test produce an indeterminate region, which is a region of uncertainty about whether to reject the null hypothesis. Because of this ambiguity, all three tests report two p-values. The first test and the third test produce Pr < DWLower and Pr < DWUpper. 

How to interpret DW test p values is also discussed in the above section :

For the first and the third test, Pr < DWLower is always greater than or equal to Pr < DWUpper. If Pr < DWLower is less than or equal to the significance level, then the null hypothesis that  rho = 0 is rejected. If Pr < DWUpper is greater than or equal to the significance level, then the null hypothesis is accepted. These two p-values get closer when N increases.

Because your Pr < DWLower for the positive correlation test is smaller than 0.0001, you reject the null of rho = 0 and conclude with positive autocorrelation. Because your Pr<DWUpper for the negative correlation test is equal to 1, greater than significance level, you accept the null and conclude that there is no negative autocorrelation. 

I hope this helps. 

SASCom1
SAS Employee

Sorry, "1-d_rho" below is a typo, it should be 4-d_rho:

The first 2 tests reported d_rho, while the third test reported is 1-d_rho  4-d_rho. In your output, d_rho = 1.87 which applies to the first two tests, 1-d_rho  4-d_rho = 2.13, which applies to the third test. 

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation