BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

Hello,

In Forecast Studio there is a facility called rolling simulations. Is there any SAS paper (e.g. white paper or better any SAS Global Forum paper) that describes this facility? If such a paper does not exist can you propose any web site that describes the theory behind this facility? I have tried to find something about it in a several forecasting academic books wihtout any lack.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Andreas 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
udo_sas
SAS Employee

Hello -

There is a conference paper on rolling simulations which was not published yet - I will send it to you directly.

Thanks,

Udo

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Snurre_SAS
SAS Employee

Hi Andreas,

The Forecast Studio User's Guide contains some information. For version 12.1 you can find it on p. 237-238. The picture below is taken from the User's Guide.

Zaras Rolling Simulations.png

The image above shows the results of a rolling simulation where the number of out-of-sample observations is 6. When back=6, 6 out-of-sample forecasts are generated using the model that was identified as the best model for this particular time series. When back=5, 5 out out sample forecasts are generated etc. These are the numbers shown in bold in the table. If you press the "Simulations Statistics" tab, various fit statistics are presented based on the out-of-sample forecasts that are calculated.

Does this help?

Cheers,

Snurre

andreas_zaras
Pyrite | Level 9

Hello Snurre,

Thnaks for your answer. Sure it helps but i need something detailed about the theory behind it and the potential benefits of doing such an analysis. So i was wondering if there are any relevant papers for SAS or somewhere else where the rolling simulations methodlogy is described in detail.

Thanks again,

Andreas

udo_sas
SAS Employee

Hello -

There is a conference paper on rolling simulations which was not published yet - I will send it to you directly.

Thanks,

Udo

andreas_zaras
Pyrite | Level 9

Thank you very much!

DrSharma
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Udo,

I am also looking for a good literature on SAS Forecast Studio.

Can you please share a copy of that paper on Rolling Simulation with me (vikas10s@gmail.com) as well.

Thanks very much in advance.

Regards

DrSharma

udo_sas
SAS Employee

Hello -

We will present a paper on rolling simulations at SAS Global Forum 2014 - the paper will be available in the conference proceedings.

Thanks,

Udo

udo_sas
SAS Employee

Hello -

Adding link to the rolling simulation paper to this thread: http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings14/SAS213-2014.pdf

Thanks,

Udo

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation