BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Bobbe_Stiff
Calcite | Level 5

1. I want to use Proc Expand to populate missing observations in a dataset indexed by time, that is, Monthly snapshot dates.
  2. The dataset has over 100 fields and I want to use proc expand to fill these gaps since I only have to transform fields that need to be changed and all other fields are treated as explained in step 3 below.
  3. The challenge is to get Proc Expand to use the field values for the previous record to fill the missing record. Proc Expand is using the subsequent record to populate the missing record.

Also attached are the following:

* Output showing my data before and after running proc expand on the data is the piece of code that

4 REPLIES 4
Bobbe_Stiff
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Reeza. Your reply gave me a clue.

The answer is to use proc expand with the option method=step to get the previously missing observation to use field values for the last non-missing observation. 

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Bravo @Bobbe_Stiff! Please post your solution code (using the {i} button) to help future users facing the same problem. You can mark your own solution as the correct answer too.

PG
alexchien
Pyrite | Level 9

Here is the code to use PROC TIMEDATA to fill the time ID gaps using the previous values.

data test;
length claim $3 claims_lodgement_date date_of_injury snapshot_date dev_month_lodge dev_month_injury netcostc netpayc 8;
format claims_lodgement_date date_of_injury snapshot_date date9. netcostc netpayc dollar10. ;

format dev_month_lodge dev_month_injury 3.;
informat claims_lodgement_date date_of_injury snapshot_date date9.;
infile datalines delimiter=',' dsd;
input claim claims_lodgement_date date_of_injury snapshot_date dev_month_lodge dev_month_injury netcostc netpayc ;
put _all_;
datalines;
XYZ,01FEB1994,21JUL1993,28FEB1994,0,7,80,80
XYZ,01FEB1994,21JUL1993,30APR1994,2,9,3961,3961
;
run;

proc timedata data=test out=step11;
by claim;
var claims_lodgement_date date_of_injury Dev_Month_Lodge Dev_Month_Injury netcostc netpayc;
id snapshot_date interval = month setmissing = prev;
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation