BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
shenflow
Obsidian | Level 7

It was suggested that I also post my question in this subforum.. so:

I want to compare two paired short time series (say of length 10) by comparing their means.

However, two significant issues currently prevent me from doing it:

(1) The data is not normally distributed and the sample sizes are really small, hence relying on the CLT appears to be quite a strong assumption.

(2) The data is autocorrelated.

Both prevent me from doing, e.g. a paired-t test, since the assumptions of normality and i.i.d. observations are violated. I know that I can, for example, perform a non-parametric test such as the Wilcoxon-Rank-Sum test to deal with the first issue. I also know that I can deal with the second issue by, for example, calculating the paired t-test with robust standard erros. However, the Wilcoxon-Rank-Sum test still requires independence, and calculating robust standard errors still requires normality.

Put differently, I do not know how to deal with both issues at once. I would be grateful if anyone could point me towards a procedure that deals with both issues.

4 REPLIES 4
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Note that if you are contemplating a paired test, you only need the paired differences to be normally distributed.

To account for autocorrelation, you could specify a model such as

MODEL myPairedDiff = / nlag=1;

i.e. fit an intercept only model to the paired differences, in proc autoreg (part of SAS/ETS).

hth

PG
shenflow
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for your reply. I am aware of the statement regarding the normality.

What exactly does the model you suggested lead to?

I was thinking to estimate an intercept only model of the differences, and then computing a t-test with robust standard errors of the estimated coefficient. Since it is an intercept only model, this is basically just a paired t-test with robust standard errors. Is that what you are suggesting?

However, the differences are NOT normally distributed and I am unsure of how to account for that.

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

I am sure you already considered transforming your data. Beyond that, I just don't know what else to try, sorry. 

PG
shenflow
Obsidian | Level 7

I would really appreciate a reply. Thank you.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation