BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Lukito
Calcite | Level 5

Hey, 

I have to replicate the Momentum Strategy where the formation window for my portfolios is  "t-12" -"t-2". That means that every month I have to find the stocks with the highest(lowest) cumulative returns ( during the past 12 months) and allocate them into different buckets. The formation period is from t-12 to t-2 since I need to skip one month.  The following code is meant to help with this, but I dont see intck statement skipping 1 month. I addition to this, when I constrcut the weights and the returns of the portfolios I get the opposite results of a  momentum strategy. 

Any comments would be much appreciated.

let %J= 12

let % K= 1

/* Creating momentum measures based on past 12 (J) Month Compounded Returns*/
proc sql;
create table umd
as select distinct a.permno, a.date,a.Mkcap, exp(sum(log(1+b.ret))) - 1 as cum_return
from msex2 (keep=permno date MKcap) as a, msex2 as b
where a.permno=b.permno and 0<= intck("month", b.date, a.date) <&J
group by a.permno, a.date
having count(b.ret)=&J;
quit; * Keep stocks with available return info in the formation period;

proc sort data=umd; by date; run;
proc rank data=umd out=umd1 group=10;
by date;
var cum_return;
ranks momr;
run;

data umd2;
set umd1(drop=cum_return);
momr=momr+1;
* MOMR is the portfolio rank variable taking values between 1 and 10:
1 - the lowest momentum group
10 - the highest momentum group;
label momr = "Momentum Portfolio";
run;

/* Assign Ranks to the Next 1 (K) Months After Portfolio Formation*/
***;
* Portfolio return are average monthly returns rebalanced monthly;
proc sql;
create table msfx2
as select distinct a.momr, a.date as form_date, a.permno,a.Mkcap, b.date, b.ret
from umd2 as a, msex2 as b
where a.permno=b.permno
and 0<intck("month",a.date,b.date)<=&K;
quit;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mkeintz
PROC Star

If the formation window is t-12 through t-2 (an eleven month window), shouldn't your criterion be

where a.permno=b.permno and &K< intck("month", b.date, a.date) <=&J
having count(b.ret) = %eval(&J-&K)

I take K is the size of the gap (in months) between the end of the formation window and the current date.  I.e. with J=12 and K=1, then  to form a window in December, use the months of then prior December through current October.

You can use the macro function %eval(&J=&K) to generalize the program.

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
mkeintz
PROC Star

If the formation window is t-12 through t-2 (an eleven month window), shouldn't your criterion be

where a.permno=b.permno and &K< intck("month", b.date, a.date) <=&J
having count(b.ret) = %eval(&J-&K)

I take K is the size of the gap (in months) between the end of the formation window and the current date.  I.e. with J=12 and K=1, then  to form a window in December, use the months of then prior December through current October.

You can use the macro function %eval(&J=&K) to generalize the program.

The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation