BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

Hello,

I have a question concerning the use of events in Forecast Studio. As far as i know we can use the built in facilities of forecast studio to declare events of various types such as pulses, ramps etc. From a technical point of view, as far as i know, the events are incorporated in a model with the aid of dummy independent variables and transfer functions (simple or more complicated). As far as i have seen, these dummy varibles, although they must be used in the model as independent variables, cannot be seen by the user in the interface and they do not appear in the scenario analysis view along with other independent variables that are stored in the original SAS data set.

The reason for writing the above, is that i would like to conduct scenario analysis by examining the impact in the dependent variable if a similar event of the past happens again in the future. If the dummy independent variables were appearing in the scenario analysis view in a separate row i could do that by changing its values from 0 to 1.

Until now i have tried to make such an analysis with, e.g. a step type of event, by adding an extra dummy variable in the original SAS data set and declare this variable as independent. I set the value of 1 at the time when the event has happened and then for the scenario analysis i would change its value to 1 throigh the scenario analysis view. Though, this method would be very difficult with more complicated transfer function cases for modelling more complicated events such as a temporary increase in the level of series with a diminishing effect and return to the original sereis level.

So the question is whether it is possible to create an event using the event facilities and then be able to see the values of the dummy variable created in a separate row in the scenario analysis view.

Thanks in advance,

Andreas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
udo_sas
SAS Employee

Hello Andreas -

Currently this is not possible, but this is a great suggestion.

I guess for the time being using a independent variable instead is the way to go.

Thanks!

Udo

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
udo_sas
SAS Employee

Hello Andreas -

Currently this is not possible, but this is a great suggestion.

I guess for the time being using a independent variable instead is the way to go.

Thanks!

Udo

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation