BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
kschott
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi SAS EG community,

I've been primarily a SAS Windows user and am accustom to both "environment" and "batch submit" processing.  Now I am also working in EG and I could use some pointers toward documentation, references, etc. about submitting code for batch processing in EG, if it is even possible 🙂.

Thank you!

Kevin

16 REPLIES 16
jebjur
SAS Employee

The easiest way is to simply schedule an Enterprise Guide project.  Here is a SAS note that explains further:

56648 - Tips for scheduling a SAS® Enterprise Guide® project

kschott
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you!  Quite a bit more than right click.  Maybe not so bad once the framework is setup.

-K

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

The "schedule project" feature actually does two things: generates an automation script, and allows you to add to Windows Scheduler. However, for "batch" you don't need to schedule (unless you want to), and you can just craft your own scripts. See this article:

Doing More with SAS Enterprise Guide Automation 

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Are you using Enterprise Guide to connect to SAS running on your PC?

Or some remote server?

Either way you could use EG as an editor and save the program file to an actual text file and run it using SAS directly  If you only have SAS running remotely you will need to save it to that machine and issue the command to run it on that machine.

Quentin
Super User

Sadly, EG never got the batch submit button I was hoping for:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SASware-Ballot-Ideas/Add-BATCH-SUBMIT-button-to-EG/idi-p/219640

If you're interested in Studio, I think it does have more batch submit-like features built in.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Don Henderson presenting on using hash functions (not hash tables!) to segment data on June 12. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
kschott
Obsidian | Level 7

@Tom 

>Are you using Enterprise Guide to connect to SAS running on your PC?

>Or some remote server?

I am a non-admin user on a shared Windows server.  I use EG by RDPing to the Windows server.  In EG, I am connected to one server in my "Servers" tree.  I'm not clear whether the SAS server runs on the same Windows server or another box.  

@Quentin 

>If you're interested in Studio, I think it does have more batch submit-like features built in.

Yes, I was hoping for something like Windows or Studio ease of running background SAS programs.  

@ChrisHemedinger 

I'll check out the ref.  Nice BASUG presentation.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@kschott - Also if you are interested in a more robust server-based scheduling and batch job running tool, then consider installing SAS Management Console on your PC. This gives you a GUI to schedule and run on demand SAS batch jobs. EG projects have to be exported first to SAS programs though. Your SAS administrator should be able to help with getting you set up.

kschott
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you all for your help.  This really is a rabbit hole I was not prepared to go down.  I may come back to it, but for the moment, it is just too much.  I was hoping for the ease plopping a program in the background and going about my business working on other programs.  Maybe plugins and such will get me there.  When something seemingly this straightforward is complicated to achieve, it makes me think I'm not understanding/using the tool quite right.  I'll take another run at this when I have more experience with EG.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

OK, if going to server-based scheduling is beyond your requirements, then @ChrisHemedinger 's link to doing more with EG is a good option.

Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Hello @kschott 
One needs to be an admin user / member of admin group to be able to schedule the job either on the PC/Laptop/Server.
In most corporate environment  SAS programmers do not have admin access.

kschott
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you  -- that's very likely my situation.  We'll see!

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@kschott wrote:

Thank you all for your help.  This really is a rabbit hole I was not prepared to go down.  I may come back to it, but for the moment, it is just too much.  I was hoping for the ease plopping a program in the background and going about my business working on other programs.  Maybe plugins and such will get me there.  When something seemingly this straightforward is complicated to achieve, it makes me think I'm not understanding/using the tool quite right.  I'll take another run at this when I have more experience with EG.

You can always submit a project in one EG session and work on another project in another EG session. By default, the SAS BI server does not place a limit on workspace server sessions for users. But be diligent in the number of parallel sessions you create, or you'll sooner or later get into trouble with your SAS admin(s).

kschott
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks Kurt - the thing I don't know (yet -- easy enough to experiment though) is how separate each EG instance is.  My primary concern is that I don't want to share the work library, and background jobs are an easy way to the programs separate.  I bet they are separate.  I'll get there as I use/explore EG more!

Kurt_Bremser
Super User
Separate workspace servers from separate EG sessions will share SASUSER and all libraries defined with the same physical path. WORK is always individual for any session.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 10 in conversation