C 7 7 10000
C 7 8 10000
E 8 8 20000
F 7 7 5000
F 7 8 5000
G 7 7 5000
H 6 6 10000
H 6 7 5000

What I would like is to only see, for each claim #, the row relating to the highest report year (the value in the third column)

So for A, I only want to see the 2nd row. For G, there is only 1 row, and I want to see that row. Any suggestions?
7 REPLIES 7
deleted_user
Not applicable
What I tried to do was select all the data and select max for report year and group by everything else. That did not work.
deleted_user
Not applicable
I actually just thought of a way to do it, but I don't particularly like it. I created an ID using the function "cats" using the first 3 variables. The I created a new table which did not have the amount column and had the max from column 3 (report year). Then I recreated the ID and joined back to the original dataset below. It actually does exactly what I want, but I feel like there should be a more elegant way. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I feel like I'm talking to myself here!
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
There might be a fancy way to do it via the Rank task with a Group By variable.

Use the Rank task to rank RptYr by Claim#. Set the option to rank Largest to Smallest. The result will have a rank_RptYr variable with values like 1,2, etc.

Then use Query Builder to subset with just the rows where rank_RptYr = 1.

Chris
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
Here's the program *generated* by EG with my point and click approach (includes your sample data).

[pre]
data claims;
length claim $ 1 LossYr 3 ReptYr 3 Amount 8;
input claim LossYr ReptYr Amount;
datalines;
A 6 6 10000
A 6 7 20000
B 7 7 10000
B 7 8 5000
C 7 7 10000
C 7 8 10000
E 8 8 20000
F 7 7 5000
F 7 8 5000
G 7 7 5000
H 6 6 10000
H 6 7 5000
;

/* generated by Rank Data task */
PROC SORT
DATA=WORK.CLAIMS
OUT=WORK.SORTTempTableSorted
;
BY claim;
RUN;
PROC RANK DATA = WORK.SORTTempTableSorted
DESCENDING
TIES=MEAN
OUT=WORK.RANKEDCLAIMS;
BY claim;
VAR ReptYr;
RANKS rank_ReptYr ;

/* generated by Query Builder */
PROC SQL;
CREATE TABLE WORK.RecentClaims AS
SELECT t1.claim,
t1.LossYr,
t1.ReptYr,
t1.Amount
FROM WORK.RANKEDCLAIMS AS t1
WHERE t1.rank_ReptYr = 1;
QUIT;
[/pre]
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
deleted_user
Not applicable
More talking to myself.

I'm in the process of reading "The Little SAS Book" and I just stumbled across another way that I think I could do what I want. It talks about an automatic variable called FIRST.variable and LAST.variable. I feel like I could use LAST.Claim# and as long as I sort by claim number and report year, that would work. However, I'm not sure if this functions exists in SAS EG or not and if so, how do I use it.
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
And yes, a simple DATA step can do the job as well. Sort the data by claim and RptYr, then use the BY statement and FIRST. syntax to keep just the top years.

Chris
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thanks for your help Chris. I used the Rank Task and it worked great.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation