BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sas_9
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi all,

we are using sas eg 5.1 and have sas mc 9.3. i want to implement "winscp" in our organization. I know "winscp" do secure file transfer from server to local drive but i don't know which extra server (FTP or something else) need to be created on SAS MC? can someone help me on what are the things need to be done to use "winscp"? i have "winscp" onboard but when i tried to connect with server- its not working. I am sure need to create one more FTP server or something link that on SAS MC.

please help...

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Is this to allow SAS to get/retrieve files using FILENAME FTP?  Or are you simply looking to transfer files from your SAS EG desktop to/from the SAS server?  If the latter, you might be able to use this instead:

There and back again: copying files in SAS Enterprise Guide - The SAS Dummy

If you're expecting to see the FTP server in the "Servers" list in your EG session, you won't.  EG shows you only SAS Workspace servers.  (Well, and SAS OLAP servers.)

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
sas_9
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks Chris.

I don't want to see FTP server in EG. I am thinking to create FTP server for "winscp" to transfer sas datasets. So basically, just want to connect winscp to SAS server.

Thanks.

Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

winscp is becoming more and more popular among industries for its price (free) and being able to comply with sFTP (Secure File Transfer Protocol) standard. I only use it occasionally to transfer files between Unix server and Windows environment. SAS does support sFTP using filename statement,  if I do it on a regular basis and want it to be automated, that would be where I 'd take a look.  Before using it, make sure sFTP server is running on the server you are trying to connect.

SAS(R) 9.2 Language Reference: Dictionary, Fourth Edition

Haikuo

sas_9
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi HaiKuo - thanks for your reply. but if i create FTP server on SAS MC, is it going to take care of connection b/w SAS and FTP?

Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

I have never done that, so can't comment. Sorry.

Haikuo

SandorSzalma
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

usually you can use putty, winscp without changing anything on the unix server.

(SSH-connection is per default enabled (port 22) and preferred.)

Regards,

Sándor

sas_9
Obsidian | Level 7

I am haing windows server- what kind of server i need to create through SAS MC? please let me know.

SandorSzalma
Fluorite | Level 6

we use winscp only with Unix servers.

having SAS running on Windows server, I would create a share on it and map this share on my pc.

tlt
Obsidian | Level 7 tlt
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

If by SAS MC, you mean SAS Management Console,

You need to configure a server through SAS MC only if you need SAS functionalities, such as user's authentification through SAS Metadata, etc ...

But you can also, for sole file transfer between servers, install any software supported by the 2 two servers, eg winscp, putty, and configure your software as specified. Doing this, the files can be transferred as any binary files, not SAS files (eg datastes, catalogs, etc...) and some features are for you to care

• Users' authentification
  • file integrity

hth

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation