BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
I recently tried "pulling in" a table from one of my libraries and received the following message: "Enterprise Guide cannot open the data file: ODSH.PERSON_DETAIL. Do you want to remove all references to this file from the project?"

I only get this message on this one table....other tables can be opened OK. If anyone has a suggestion on what (1) this means and (2) what migt br tried to fix the problem, I would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance!
4 REPLIES 4
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
It could be any of a number of issues.

Can you run any tasks on it? Or even just run from a code node:

proc print data=odsh.person_detail;

It's possible that some column values contain national characters (such as found in a native Polish name, for example) that cannot transcode into your SAS session encoding (wlatin1, good for English and Western Europe, usually).

Chris
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thanks for reply, Chris....

I'm in process of trying to set up a code node as we speak.

Also, if some of the columns contained national characters that don't transcode, if I can't see the table's data, how would I know if that was the case? Any suggestions are always most welcome.

Thanks again!
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi, Chris,

I wasn't able to even do the "proc print data=odsh.person_detail;" you suggested; I got a message saying certain fields could not be found. It sounds like I have to figure out how to do a refresh of the "view" that is currently causing fits.

Is there a way to refresh the library or the table?
deleted_user
Not applicable
Guess what??? I got the problem fixed! Turns out that we receive script files from a software vendor that can at any time modify the structure of our Oracle or SQL tables; well, our Administrator had received a script that had erased two fields in the offending table, and my SAS EG was looking at an old view of the table. After we did some heavy-duty reviewing of the table, we figured which fields were causing the probelm, removed them from the old view, did a refresh, and now can see and use the table.

I asked our administrator how he knows what the scripts do and his response was that he didn't know what impact the scripts had, that he just runs them. Sound like the old "just following orders," doesn't it?

Thanks for your replies and for your suggestions....it's nice to know there are folks willing to help others out there.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation