BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
woo
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 woo
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi Friends, i am not sure if this question make sense or not but is there any way we can pull only SAS code lines from complete log?

Thing is we don't have access to script/ code file folder, just to log file....

Thank you!

8 REPLIES 8
ballardw
Super User

You might want to mention which version of EG you are running as tools like this could well be version dependent.

woo
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

sas eg 5.1 (citrix) with sas 9.3 on aix

SASKiwi
PROC Star

How do you run your code then if you don't have access to your code folders?

woo
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

SASKIWI - we don't run code - other team runs the code and we just have access to see log file from other folder.

So basically scripts are @ other folder and logs are @ other folder....scripts running in batch mode

SASKiwi
PROC Star

OK I thought this might be the case. I suggest the simple answer would be to get read-only access to the code folders if the issue is avoiding being able to change the code.

There is no reliable way to re-construct complete source code from SAS logs. For example if macros are used then the source in the macros might not even show in the logs.

Reeza
Super User

If you don't run the code and don't have access what you might be trying to do might be a violation of your companies policies. 

What are you looking for in the code? There are log parsers out there - search lexjansen.com

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Woo probably 80% of the code is not in the logging. A good programmed piece of code has a lot of input/output validation with according decisions.

Maintaining programs by analyzing just log is a bad idea. When redesigning it into a new build system it could be usefull.
As you are running the scripts you must have access to the code (I hope not being compiled without source) . 
What is the issue you are trying to solve?

---->-- ja karman --<-----
woo
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I am not trying to accomplish anything here. Just was wonder if we have way out to pull full code/script from log but as you guys said we don't have all code in log, there is no way to get full script then.

Also if we don't have access to script/code and even if we have way to pull complete script/code from log we would keep it on our local machine and we cannot modify script/code and load/change original script/code since we don't have access so ultimately we are not in violation at allSmiley Happy We respect companies policies Smiley Happy

Thank you all for your information....

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation