BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
bhca60
Quartz | Level 8

I have a field that has full name including middle initial and possibly full middle name.  How do i remove that from the field?

proc sql;
create table one as 
select 
distinct strip(a.name) as name_strip,
dob
from two a
inner join three b
order by name_strip; quit;
5 REPLIES 5
SASKiwi
PROC Star

What does your data look like? You need to provide some example data otherwise we will just be guessing. What about multi-word surnames? If you have any, trying to figure out if a word is indeed a middle name or part of a surname is tricky.

bhca60
Quartz | Level 8

ex: smith, John R

I'm trying to match names from a database  to a file i have with the names in it as well to see what matches i can get from the database

SASKiwi
PROC Star

If surnames are always first and followed by a comma then finding name components is relatively easy:

data want;
  name = 'smith, John R';
  surname = scan(name, 1, ',');
  first_name = scan(substr(name, find(name, ',') +1), 1);
  second_name = scan(substr(name, find(name, ',') +1), 2);
  name_new = catx(' ', first_name, surname); 
  put _all_;
run;

ballardw
Super User

I might try something along the lines of:

case 
   when countw(a.name)<3 then strip(a.name)
   when countw(a.name)=3 then catx(' ',scan(a.name,1),scan(a.name,3))
   when countw(a.name)=4 then catx(' ',scan(a.name,1),scan(a.name,3),scan(a.name,4))
end as name_strip

The count for 3 and 4 a because of names that are compounds like "Le Blanc" "Van something" or such.

If you have some of the long names from some enthic groups that may not be enough.

If you have not seen Countw before it counts words, which are just about anything separated by spaces, commas, periods and couple of other characters. Scan uses the same delimiter characters to grab the numbered "word". Catx combines the results with the characters of the first parameter separating the bits. Each of the bits would have any leading or trailing blanks removed before inserting that parameter.

andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

I just want to put an emphasis on the question asked by @SASKiwi:

What about multi-word surnames? If you have any, trying to figure out if a word is indeed a middle name or part of a surname is tricky.

So please post some data and show the expected result.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation