BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Steelers_In_DC
Barite | Level 11

This is a duplicate message but the original is several years old and I wasn't able to follow it, so I thought it was worth repeating.  

I am new to a client and trying to connect EG.

I have PC SAS but nobody here uses EG, I'd like to use PC SAS and print the IP address to the log.  The idea is that I would get the IP address and port from the log in PC SAS, and use that to connect with EG.  I hope that makes sense, any help is appreciated.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Here is a thing you can try if you have EG 8.2. 

It's clunky, and it won't work if the installed PC SAS doesn't include a SAS Integration Technologies license (check proc product_status; run;) to see.

• On the machine with PC SAS, open a command prompt.
  • Run ipconfig and note the IPv4 address in the output.
  • Run this SAS command (adjust paths as needed - enter all on one line)

"c:\Program Files\SASHome\SASFoundation\9.4\sas.exe" 
 -objectserver -objectserverparms "protocol=bridge port=5555 nosecurity cel=none" 
 -nologo -noterminal

The port number can be anything you want.  This launches a SAS session that listens for a client connection on that port.  Your firewall software might balk at this, for good reason.  If you have privileges to allow it, great.  If not...well, you might be done with this experiment.  The nosecurity bypasses need for credentials, and cel=none bypasses encryption across the connection.  (In case you think I'm revealing secrets here, this is all documented in the OBJECTSERVER and OBJECTSERVERPARMS reference doc.)

• From your EG 8.2, open the Connections window.  On the Servers table, select Add under Additional SAS Workspace Servers.  Give it a name, enter the IP address and the port number you used in the SAS command.  You can leave everything else empty/default.

Now you'll have this additional server in your Servers list, using the name you assigned.  Click it to connect.  You'll be prompted for credentials but just click OK.

If stars align, you're connected!  But, the SAS session ends when you end EG or otherwise disconnect.  To connect again, you need access to that machine with PC SAS to run the SAS command again to listen for the next connection.

Let me be clear -- I don't think this is a great way to work and it might violate a practice of you connecting your personal laptop (assuming that's where you have EG installed) to a corporate network/resource.  But I share this because it might be useful for others who have just EG and PC SAS and the single Local server.  You can use this method to "configure" a SAS instance with different default options (for example, a different ENCODING option at startup) and still use EG to get your work done.

SAS Hackathon registration is open! Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

To connect from EG you need the hostname and port where the object spawner is listening.  Object spawner is a daemon or service that runs always, and it knows where to find Workspace servers by name through a connection to SAS Metadata.

Most customers with central SAS servers (like grid) will have SAS Integration Technologies set up.  By default in EG, you need to connect to a SAS Metadata Server -- which then is your gateway/directory into administered servers and libraries.

In EG 8.2 you can now add Additional Workspace Servers, if you know the host/port for the specific SAS Workspace.  You would then connect using host credentials.  You'll find that option in the Connections window.

If there is no SAS Metadata Server or no configured Workspace Servers and object spawner, then EG can connect only to a local SAS installed on the same machine as EG.

SAS Hackathon registration is open! Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world.
Steelers_In_DC
Barite | Level 11

Is there anyway to print the log that goes to the object spawner while I am using PC SAS, I'm at a new client with little support getting connected, so I'm trying to pull the info from PC SAS to enter into EG  I see the folder for integrated technologies but nothing in there that I can use. 

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Sorry, might have misled you.  Object spawner runs as a service only when configured as part of a SAS deployment, usually in an enterprise setting.

If this is a simple install with PC SAS, it won't be running.  And you won't be able to connect from a different machine with EG to a machine that just has PC SAS.  You need SAS Integration Technologies to be licensed and configured.

When EG and PC SAS are on the same machine, EG sees that as "Local" server and it just works, no need to license or configure anything extra.

Steelers_In_DC
Barite | Level 11

I understand that, I tried to run proc setinit; but it doesn't run, just sits there and thinks for a long time.  I'm not sure what license I have in this seat, I'm working on figuring that out.

Steelers_In_DC
Barite | Level 11

could this be helpful in anyway?  I'm not sure if this tells you if EG is connected the way you are talking about, here is the output from setinit:

Base SAS Software
SAS/STAT
SAS/GRAPH
SAS/ETS
SAS/FSP
SAS/OR
SAS/AF
SAS/IML
SAS/SHARE
SAS/ASSIST
SAS/CONNECT
SAS/EIS
SAS/GIS
SAS/SHARE*NET
MDDB Server common products
SAS/Secure 168
SAS/Secure Windows
SAS Enterprise Guide
OR OPT
OR PRS
OR IVS
OR LSO
SAS/ACCESS Interface to SAP ASE
SAS/ACCESS Interface to PC Files
SAS/ACCESS Interface to ODBC
SAS/IML Studio
SAS Workspace Server for Local Access
High Performance Suite
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Here is a thing you can try if you have EG 8.2. 

It's clunky, and it won't work if the installed PC SAS doesn't include a SAS Integration Technologies license (check proc product_status; run;) to see.

• On the machine with PC SAS, open a command prompt.
  • Run ipconfig and note the IPv4 address in the output.
  • Run this SAS command (adjust paths as needed - enter all on one line)

"c:\Program Files\SASHome\SASFoundation\9.4\sas.exe" 
 -objectserver -objectserverparms "protocol=bridge port=5555 nosecurity cel=none" 
 -nologo -noterminal

The port number can be anything you want.  This launches a SAS session that listens for a client connection on that port.  Your firewall software might balk at this, for good reason.  If you have privileges to allow it, great.  If not...well, you might be done with this experiment.  The nosecurity bypasses need for credentials, and cel=none bypasses encryption across the connection.  (In case you think I'm revealing secrets here, this is all documented in the OBJECTSERVER and OBJECTSERVERPARMS reference doc.)

• From your EG 8.2, open the Connections window.  On the Servers table, select Add under Additional SAS Workspace Servers.  Give it a name, enter the IP address and the port number you used in the SAS command.  You can leave everything else empty/default.

Now you'll have this additional server in your Servers list, using the name you assigned.  Click it to connect.  You'll be prompted for credentials but just click OK.

If stars align, you're connected!  But, the SAS session ends when you end EG or otherwise disconnect.  To connect again, you need access to that machine with PC SAS to run the SAS command again to listen for the next connection.

Let me be clear -- I don't think this is a great way to work and it might violate a practice of you connecting your personal laptop (assuming that's where you have EG installed) to a corporate network/resource.  But I share this because it might be useful for others who have just EG and PC SAS and the single Local server.  You can use this method to "configure" a SAS instance with different default options (for example, a different ENCODING option at startup) and still use EG to get your work done.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation