BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
AJones2020
Calcite | Level 5

Hello. I updated to SAS EG 8.2 today. After opening the software, selecting Create a new project, and clicking Data-Import SPSS file, I received the following message at the top of the window: Cannot create task for " ".  I even clicked Import JMP file and Import Stata file. Received the same message. Thus, it appears I can't import any type of file. I did not have this issue when using 8.1. Has anyone else experienced this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jebjur
SAS Employee

There is a known defect where the Local server is removed from the Eguide server list when you upgrade to Eguide 8.1 or 8.2, and is planned to be fixed soon in a hotfix. The workaround to add the Local server back to the server list is very simple:

Go into Tools > Connections >Servers and check 'Automatically add local SAS server (if installed) to server list'. Once the server is added to the Server list you should be able to connect to your server and run code or import data.

locserver.jpg

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Reeza
Super User
Sounds like someone didn't install the correct components. Have you confirmed with your IT team that the installation succeeded?
AJones2020
Calcite | Level 5

I actually upgraded myself. While working in 8.1, I saw a message at the top stating version 8.2 is available. So I clicked on it, the system downloaded it, said the upgrade was successful, automatically removed 8.1, and then opened 8.2. I even restarted my computer to be sure. My IT department is not particularly helpful. When I initially downloaded 8.1., they told me they wouldn't be able to offer support because they are not familiar with SAS; as there are only a few SAS users at my company. Is there somewhere on my computer I can check to see if the install was in fact successful?

Reeza
Super User
Wow...your company gives you admin access? That's rare. Anyways, check what's licensed versus installed.

PROC SETINIT shows what's licensed, PROC PRODUCT_STATUS shows what's installed.
AJones2020
Calcite | Level 5

I'm starting to think I shouldn't have clicked the 8.2 update. 😞 I don't know what I was thinking. I'm new to SAS so this is all a learning curve. Last summer, I installed SAS 9.4 and EG 8.1 on my computer.

I ran your codes in SAS 9.4, as Enterprise Guide will not allow me to run the codes. In SAS 9.4, everything that was initially installed for it is showing as installed in the log. Now I'm wondering if there's a way I can switch back to EG 8.1? Do you know if one can switch to an older version of EG? I still see it's folder on my computer located at: SAS Software Depot>standalone_installs>SAS_Enterprise_Guide_Independent_Installer>8_1.

Reeza
Super User
It's an Enterprise software, it's meant to be administered by an admin not a data analyst 😞
AJones2020
Calcite | Level 5

Okay. I'm going to contact SAS Technical Support. Thank you!!

SASKiwi
PROC Star

If you have admin access to your PC then you can re-install EG 8.1 using the standalone installer and that will overwrite 8.2. 

AJones2020
Calcite | Level 5

That sounds like what I need to do. I'm going to try that while waiting for SAS Tech Support to get back with me. Thank you!

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

I've tested this on my v8.2 with no problem.

sav.jpg

Import SPSS, Import JMP, and Import Stata are all variations of the same task.  The more generic Import Data in the File menu is different -- covers Excel, CSV and general text files.  I hope that's working.

I advise working with SAS Tech Support.  But some diagnostics to try:

• Check that SAS.Tasks.ImportOtherPackages.dll file exists in your EG install directory (../SASHome\x86\SASEnterpriseGuide\8)
  • Turn on Application Logging in Tools->Options, and see if there are obvious errors in the resulting log files.  SAS Tech Support might ask for this file.
  • Try running RegTasks.exe from your EG folder on a command line:
      ..\SASHome\x86\SASEnterpriseGuide\8\regtasks.exe /register

Chris

SAS Hackathon registration is open! Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world.
AJones2020
Calcite | Level 5

Yes, I'm going to work with Tech Support. I started a track. Hopefully they can provide some insight tomorrow. Thank you!

jebjur
SAS Employee

Are you connecting to a Local SAS server in Enterprise Guide 8.2, or a remote SAS server such as SASApp? If Local, if you expand on the Servers in the Eguide server list, do you see the Local Server listed or is it missing?

AJones2020
Calcite | Level 5

Hello jebjur. When I click on the Servers pane in EG, I see Servers and Private OLAP Servers. Double-clicking on either of those results in nothing happening.

jebjur
SAS Employee

There is a known defect where the Local server is removed from the Eguide server list when you upgrade to Eguide 8.1 or 8.2, and is planned to be fixed soon in a hotfix. The workaround to add the Local server back to the server list is very simple:

Go into Tools > Connections >Servers and check 'Automatically add local SAS server (if installed) to server list'. Once the server is added to the Server list you should be able to connect to your server and run code or import data.

locserver.jpg

AJones2020
Calcite | Level 5

Jebjur,

I just finished emailing a SAS Tech Support rep and this is the EXACT solution he provided. Thank you!

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation