BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Sheeba
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi,

I am planning to create an EG project from windows. My requirement is to create the data sets associated with EG project on the unix sever. Is it possible to link between EG and the data sets. The folder structure is going to be the same in windows and unix server. So if I am planning to move the EG from one folder to another in windows, I need the data set to be moved in unix servers. Is it possible to link the EG projects with the data sets?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

10 REPLIES 10
SASKiwi
PROC Star

If the folder structure is the same for both Windows and Unix, and assuming you have both a Windows SAS server and a Unix SAS Server, then a good approach would be to define Unix SAS libraries using the same LIBREFs as in Windows. These should be set up in SAS Management Console using the Data Library Manager and not in your EG projects so the projects should not need to be changed at all.

Sheeba
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thanks a lot for the reply. Yes I do have both Windows SAS server and UNIX server

But will it hold good if the project serves as a template ? ie multiple users will be using the project which is copied into their system?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

As long as the required users have access to the SAS MC data libraries. By that I mean if the SAS users have the right security setup for them to be able to read these data libraries then the answer is yes.

The SAS MC security model allows you to create a user group that can be given access to the necessary libraries by adding that group to the authorisations for these libraries. You do need to be careful though that the server data directory permissions are consistent with your SAS MC security permissions as well.

Sheeba
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thanks a lot...that was really helpful.

Also I have a related query. The folder structure is going to be the same in both windows and UNIX. If i move an eg project from folder A to folder B, is there some way to move the associated datasets from folder A to folder B in unix server? Does SAS connect help on this?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

How much data needs to be moved? I know EG has download/upload tasks that would enable you to copy datasets from the Windows SAS server to your PC and then back up again to your Unix SAS server but it would not be recommended for large amounts of data. If you have SAS/CONNECT and full SAS on your desktop you can use PROC UPLOAD/DOWNLOAD which would be more flexible.

Please note that the structure of SAS datasets is different between different operating systems so you do need to use SAS to transfer the data or convert the data into a "transport" file and use a binary file transfer method, for example FTP in binary mode.

Sheeba
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Actually my requirement is to move the data between the folders in unix itself. When the EG project is run, 2 data sets are generated which is stored on the unix server. I want the data sets to move between A-->B when EG project(which is on windows) is moved from A--->B....

So essentially is there some way to link the EG project with a data set which it creates on the unix server?

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Can you describe a bit more about this requirement and your architecture? It seems quite odd, and not easy to maintain.

Is the data mirrored? If so, why do you keep the data on two separate servers, on two different platforms?

Data never sleeps
Sheeba
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Yes, I am planning to create an EG project from windows server. My requirement is to create the data sets associated with EG project on the unix sever. This is because i don't have enough space on windows server to store the data sets. and The folder structure is going to be the same in windows and unix server.

Is it possible to link between EG and the data sets.  So if I am planning to move the EG from one folder to another in windows, I need the data set to be moved in unix servers. Is it possible to link the EG projects with the data sets?

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Still not understand what your project will do.

Are you developing a project that end-users (or a batch?) will use to move data between folders? Will it be parameterized to control which data will move where? Or is the moving thing a way for you to control that changes in the application (in Windows) will be applied "automatically" in UNIX?

No, there is nothing like a "link" between projects and physical data - the project are aware of the data in which libname they are stored.

Data never sleeps
Sheeba
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thanks for the reply Linush.

Actually I am trying to develop an EG project which is to be stored in windows . The datasets which the project creates needs to be stored in unix due to space constraints in windows.  and Yes u got it correctly "is the moving thing a way for meto control that changes in the application (in Windows) will be applied "automatically" in UNIX".

If I move an EG project from A--->B folder, is there some way to move the associated data sets from folder A--> B in unix....the folder structure is going to be identical in both windows unix.

Since ther is no link possible between project and physical data, I believe drag n drop the datasets in project would be the only factor which will help me to move the data sets from one folder to another.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 3 in conversation