BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
woo
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 woo
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hello friends please help me to count interest rate

I have some discrepancy in counting interest rate with Bank calculator and with SAS

I am counting interest for $9000.00 @ 2.49% for 12 month.

Bank is giving me monthly payment $760.00 which would be $9120.00 at end of the 12 months (so basically i am paying 120 more than actual amount)

where as if i use below code i am getting something different...

data test;

capital=9000;

interest_rate='2.49%';

do month=1 to 12;

interest=2.49/100*capital;

output;

capital+interest;

end;

run;

/*12TH OBS WILL BE

11796.113263 2.49% 12 293.72322026

*/

OR

data test2;

capital=9000;

interest_rate='2.49%';

do month=1 to 12;

interest=capital*.12/12;

output;

capital+interest;

end;

run;

/*

12TH OBS WILL BE

10041.015122.49%12100.4101512

*/

is this happening coz of my code is adding interest every time when its counting interest for amount...? if so how can i do "capital-interest"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Anybody remember PROC LOAN?  It's part of SAS/ETS.

SAS/ETS User's Guide Example Programs

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ballardw
Super User

Is the interest rate 2.49 per month? Or did you take an annual rate and divide by 12?

In either case you might want to look in the documentation for financial functions. Payment seems to imply that you may be paying down a loan.

Look at:

data want;

payment=mort(9000, ., .0249/12,12);

run;

proc print;run;

This seems to match the bank as a loan of 9000, with annual rate of 2.49% compounded monthly(the /12) for 12 months.

woo
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thanks a lot Ballardw for yr quick response but is there a way i can see payment per month in your case...so basically instead seeing only one obs i want to see 12 obs in your code...

ballardw
Super User

You might need to provide some details as to what you are actually trying to do. If it is a loan repayment then the results of the MORT function I posted are the likely monthly payment, the same value, for each of 12 months. So you could either put the function inside a do loop of month=1 to 12 with an output statement inside the loop or just multiply the result by 12 for a total.

There are other financial functions that you may want to investigate such as CUMIPMT, cumulative interest payment.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Anybody remember PROC LOAN?  It's part of SAS/ETS.

SAS/ETS User's Guide Example Programs

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
ballardw
Super User

Not everyone has ETS though...

woo
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thanks Ballardw and Chris...i got the answer...using ETS and Mort function....

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation