BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
AnandSahu
Calcite | Level 5

hi,

can we open a sas7bdat file in SAS EG 6.1.

regards

anand

10 REPLIES 10
Reeza
Super User

Yes, if you cantt you'll have to provide more details. If EG is on the server and the dataset is on your desktop their may be issues.

AnandSahu
Calcite | Level 5

Reeza,

yes, my EG is connected to server and the .sas7bdat file is in my desktop.

In this case, how can I access these files??

naveen_srini
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Good afternoon, Understanding that your EG is connected to the metadata server using your credentials and your dataset resides in the client desktop.I am using SAS EG 6.1 right now at office and I have just tried the same and it worked fine. How I did was, 1- Right click on the icon of the dataset 2. you will see open/open with SAS Enterprise guide 6.1 3 Clicking that should comfortably open. Well at least it did for me:)

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Yup naveen that will also work. What happens is it will read the sas-dataset using Eguide at Windows convert that int a sas-datastep with datlines embedded so it can be uploaded in character mode than it runs that dataset at sas-server side and opening that dataset at the server. I do not like all those conversions/overhead.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
naveen_srini
Quartz | Level 8

Oh yes, That's true, I fully agree with you:)

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

I simply did File - Open - Data and navigated to the .sas7bdat I wanted to open. EG did open it.

Please provide more information if that does not work for you.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Yes you can drag drop it to the server (from windows explorer) into the files-section seen with Eguide of your app-server.

This will start a binary transfer (part of XCEED libraries) from windows to you server.
Only with the cripple education (UE) version of Eguide this will not work. There will be a hurdle when you have a virtualized desktop. In that case you have to copy/move your data from your real one to your virtualized one first.

Please do no use the sas7bdat dataset form to files section but copy that to a location covered by the libnames section.  (RDBMS approach instead of Excel mode)

When your server is a Unix type, do not rename/use your file with upcase chars as that will make that dataset inaccessible by SAS.  

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

As others have answered, SAS Enterprise Guide can read your sas7bdat file from your desktop even if you don't have SAS installed.  Drag-and-drop the file onto your open project or else use File->Open.  SAS Enterprise Guide will use the SAS Local Data Provider to read/display the contents of your data set even when you're not connected to a SAS environment.

To efficiently move your local SAS data set to the server for analysis, use the Tasks->Data->Upload Data Files to Server task.  That will capture the upload step into your process flow for a repeatable process.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

@Chris there are tasks like that one you have mentioned that are getting personalized in the EGuide project (caused by uri's and home locations) By that imposing some difficulties when handing over to another person.  My suggestion would be improving by minimizing those dependicies and more easily getting changed when needed.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation