BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
crosskonaftw
Fluorite | Level 6

I am using SAS EG 5.1 to SQL query against a teradata server.  The final product is a SAS dataset hosted on the SASApp Server1 under SASUSER.

I have access to another SAS Server2 that has more powerful hardware for processing huge data sets and would like to MOVE the SAS dataset from Server1 to Server2 to manipulate further.

Is there a way to directly transfer the dataset to Server2 without using "download data set to PC" and then subsequently "upload data set to SAS Server" functionality?

Thank you

6 REPLIES 6
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Do both servers have the same operating system and can you "see" the Server1 SAS data folders from Server2?

If so you could just assign a LIBNAME on Server 2 from your Server 2 EG connection pointing back at Server 1 to copy the data over:

libname S1SUSER '\\Server1\SASUsers\Username'; <== Windows directory location - change to match yours.

crosskonaftw
Fluorite | Level 6

Server 1 is SAS operating using Teradata, I am unsure of Server 2's configuration.

When I am connected to Server 2, my server list displays only Local and SASApp, I believe (in my limited experience) that this means I cannot "see" the Server1 SAS data folders from Server2 per your question.

Thank You

SASKiwi
PROC Star

When I said "see" the Server1 SAS data folders from Server2 I meant this from an operating system perspective not inside SAS.

For example, where I work all of our SAS Servers work under the Windows operating system so I can go into Windows Explorer on my desktop and navigate to all of the SAS server data folders and list all of the SAS datasets stored.

Since your understanding of these concepts appears a little confused (Teradata is a database, not an operating system that SAS would run in) I suggest you ask one of your IT administrators what operating system your SAS servers run under and whether you are able to access the data folders on one SAS server from the other from an operating system perspective.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

And if you don't have for some reason the rights to direct libname across servers, you could investigate if SAS/CONNECT is licensed. Then you could use PROC UPLOAD to move the data.

I assume that you can't access Teradata from Server2?

Data never sleeps
crosskonaftw
Fluorite | Level 6

Are you referring to SAS/Connect aka prodnum15 aka saszrlnk?

I DO have it licensed on my Local server, but I do NOT have it licensed on my SASApp servers; will this work?  I will investigate PROC UPLOAD further on my end.

Lastly, yes, I believe I can't access Teradata from Server2; however this may be incorrect.  I will follow up with our research analytics admins to see if it is possible.

Thank You

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

That is looking a very weird installation you are having. Teradata is designed for big data (that is in the name). It is sometimes necessary to copy parts to a local SAS environment. But using the SASuser for that is not normal and should be avoided.

Could be your analytics staff is assuming data is never going to SAS and all work is done by Teradata. By that also did the implementation that way with a less powerfull machine.

You can use several appservers to the same machine with good reasons. One is for example using different encodings. You can use one for utf8 and another for latin1 with that.

Parallel processing has become a standard feature with Eg 5.1. That is no reason anymore.

Having several appservers on the same machine you can easily share the data between those.

Using SAS connect is one of the best for sharing data. It can also use RLS services. When you are going to do that do not use the parallel processing with Eguide for setting up the connection (asynchronous mode).  By that you can see all things coming back in your Eguide session and you can give follow up processings. The disadvantage is that it will cause networktraffic and IO for an additional (big?) copy. 

You have to contact you analytics admins.        

---->-- ja karman --<-----

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation