BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Mark5
Calcite | Level 5

Please can someone assist.

i want to export a table  as an .mbd file but it is not givving me the option to.

I do have access 2016 installed aswell.

Am i missing something or do i need to enable something for this tio reflect.

i have attached a screenshot.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Since you only have the "modern" xlsx Format available (which is openly documented and consists of a bunch of xml files in a zip archive), I guess you are lacking the necessary module from Microsoft that is needed to create the older Office formats (xls and mdb).

Have your EG installation checked for this. (in EG, Help - Configuration, look for MDAC version)

As a quick workaround, I suggest you export to a csv file and import that into Access.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Really can't state this enough here, mdb is ancient, drop the file format.  If you have to use Access at all, use accdb, mdb hasn't been used since 2003.

As for why you can't see it, can't even tell what SAS you are using, looks to be some sort of wizard.  This will show you the code:
https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Data-Management/Export-SAS-9-4-file-to-Access-mdb/td-p/255055

Mark5
Calcite | Level 5

Hi

Thank you for the response, i am using EG 7.1. i have tried code as well. see below:

PROC
EXPORT
 DATA= ALL_POLICIES
            OUTTABLE= "POLICIES SPLIT"
            DBMS=ACCESSCS  
            REPLACE;
  DATABASE="C:\Users\abmc677\Desktop\BookSPLIT.accdb";
run
;

Then i get the error: ERROR: Server Name is invalid or missing.

Thanks

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Try:

proc export data=all_policies
            outtable="policies split"
            dbms=access
            replace;
   database="<path>/booksplit.accdb";
run;

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/acpcref/63181/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p1d0tocg3njhmfn1d4...

accesscs is trying to use pcfiles. 

Mark5
Calcite | Level 5

i tried

proc export data=all_policies
            outtable="policies split"
            dbms=access
            replace;
   database="C:/Users/abmc677/Desktop/booksplit.accdb";
run;

get the following error: ERROR: DBMS type ACCESS not valid for export.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Is your EG running on a Unix server?  All I can think of is your install/run area are different, and one or the other is lacking in the necessary conversion software.  If it runs on a Unix server which doesn't have Office and doesn't have PCFiles server, then you need to get pcfiles server installed and setup.  

Maybe someone else here can provide something more specific.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Since you only have the "modern" xlsx Format available (which is openly documented and consists of a bunch of xml files in a zip archive), I guess you are lacking the necessary module from Microsoft that is needed to create the older Office formats (xls and mdb).

Have your EG installation checked for this. (in EG, Help - Configuration, look for MDAC version)

As a quick workaround, I suggest you export to a csv file and import that into Access.

CaseySmith
SAS Employee

I wanted to add...

I suspect you are using 64-bit EG.  EG uses the Microsoft Jet Engine provider to write to the .mdb format.  The Microsoft Jet Engine is 32-bit only, thus only works in 32-bit EG, thus exporting to .mdb (via the client UI) is only available in 32-bit EG.

EG's system requirements doc has this note:

"Note: On 64-bit operating systems, SAS recommends using the 32-bit version of SAS Enterprise Guide for greater compatibility with data providers. See reference, SAS Deployment Wizard and SAS Deployment Manager 9.4 User's Guide.pdf for more information."

Related, but applies to import rather than export... in the EG help (Help->SAS Enterprise Guide Help), the "Working with Data: File types that SAS Enterprise Guide reads and writes" topic has this note:

"In the 64-bit version of SAS Enterprise Guide, you can import Microsoft Access files (*.mdb, *.accdb) only if the 64-bit version of Microsoft Access or the 64-bit version of the Microsoft Office System (ACE) Driver is installed. Similarly, if you are running the 32-bit version of SAS Enterprise Guide, then you must have the 32-bit version of Microsoft Access or the Microsoft Office System (ACE) Driver in order to import Microsoft Access files."

Note: The comments above apply to the client, when the client is performing the import or export (rather than SAS code on the server). The server (ex. processing proc import and proc export) has different, but similar requirements.  See proc import/export doc for those.

Casey

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

Mark5
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you for the reply, this explains a lot,

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation