BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jcchoy
Calcite | Level 5
We have base PC sas 8.2, PC sas 9.1.3 and unix sas 9.1.3, which Enterprise Guide versions/release I need to install if we intend to run all 3 versions of base sas.
3 REPLIES 3
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
I would expect that EG is downward compatible with prior versions, regardless of where running (server or local install). Also, given that SAS version 8 is stabilized, you would be encouraged to upgrade to a "supported, maintained" SAS version for your enterprise SAS applications.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.

Migration
SAS Enterprise Guide
http://support.sas.com/rnd/migration/planning/software/entguide.html
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Actually, it is not quites as simple as Scott said.

EGuide 4.2 only works with SAS 9.2 . See
http://support.sas.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=11739ⷛ

I have used EGuide 4.1 with SAS 9.1.3 and 9.2 on Windows. 9.2 works fine, but you don't get a lot of 9.2 new features. There are a number of posters who use 4.1 with 9.1.3 on various flavors of Unix.

I recall that 4.1 works with 8.2, but again you loose some functionality (and it may choke on some things like the classes in logistic that don't exist in 8.2).

The user interface on EGuide 4.1 is so much improved over EGuide 3.1 that I would not consider 3.1 unless you have no other choice.

Doc Muhlbaier
Duke
jcchoy
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you for your responses Scott and Doc. Doc, just curious do you work for SAS ? The reason we didn't install the Enterprise Guide 4.1 was because we found a bug in SAS 9.1.3 (sp4) in that when we terminate the PC sas session, an orphan process would spawn and run forever on our unix sas 9.1.3 server back in 2007.

We asked SAS to fix it but we were too busy to follow up with the work and co-ordination required.

I wrote a korn script on the unix server to just kill any long running sas processes with over 90 minutes CPU time and no updates to saswork directories currently. The problem was also diagnosed as SAS 9.1.3 files being left open when the session is terminated without sign off. We created a sign off button to fix this but difficult to enforce users to always remember to sign off before terminating the PC sessions.

If you know of any similar reported problems, please let me know.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation