our DB2 9.5.3 data, there are two questions:
1.Is SAS 9.2 a stable version.
2.Is there any performance reduction when we use ODBC interface over
the DB2 native interface, suppose all data to process is located in
the DB2 server.
3 REPLIES 3
RichardH_sas
SAS Employee
I don't know much about stability SAS/ACCESS for DB2 stability, so I'll punt on that one. I will say I haven't heard of any problems related to SAS/ACCESS stuff in 9.2, but I'm not a SAS/ACCESS expert.

In terms of performance, there will be a significant impact using SAS/ACCESS for ODBC instead of SAS/ACCESS for DB2 when reading large tables. A SAS consultant I work with said the SAS/ACCESS products for specific databases (e.g. DB2) tend to be 4-10 times faster than the generic SAS/ACCESS for ODBC. If applicable, the database-specific SAS/ACCESS products also allow bulk-loading. This is roughly where my knowledge runs dry. 🙂

Hope that helps. I'm still someone suspicious of the claim that SAS 9.2 is not a "stable" version -- I'd have to know specifically what you were trying to do with it. It performs without a flaw on my machine. It might be worth a call to SAS Tech Support to get a sense from them if they know of any problems with upgrading. http://support.sas.com/techsup/contact/
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
SAS 9.2 (PHASE 1) on z/OS maybe (note that you failed to mention your OS platform), but now SAS 9.2 (PHASE 2) is available, and I understand that other than some prior installation quirks for native z/OS clients (j-- just say NO THANKS to the Windows-based front-end GUI for a mainframe install, please!), I would highly recommend and encourage installing the most current SAS 9.2 system, at your earliest convenience.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thanks, we are using SAS on Windows Server 2003, and I will try to upgrade to 9.2 s2.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation