BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
davidteson
Calcite | Level 5

Is it possible to limit memory by user? We need to modify the default settings for each session in the Workspace Server. We have several users, and also have default users (sasdemo, sassrv) running.

Our matter is to specify differents 'memsize parameters' fot the two different group of users. We have tried to change the properties in sasv9.cfg, sasv9_usermods.cfg and Workspace_usermods.sh, however, were not successful.

Anybody could help us?

Thanks in advance,

kind regards.

8 REPLIES 8
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello,

it is definitely possible. For that you need to create a new SAS Application Server (SASApp) with different name (if you hace SASApp, name the new one as SASAppExt or similar), with a Workspace Server. On the new SASApp you can put the different memory settings.

Then, the last thing you will need to do, is to assing the required libraries to the new SASApp server too and assign authorizations to users to access one SASApp server or the other one or both.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
That will limit the resource per session, a user could have multiple sessions active at the same time.
Data never sleeps
SASKiwi
PROC Star

What is your ultimate goal? To reduce memory usage on your SAS App server or something else? This has to be handled carefully as users could suddenly find that their memory-intensive jobs fail. While a memsize of 2G is good for most users, I've had jobs fail unless they have 3GB.

Also memory is quite cheap so why not upgrade your server memory? Another approach might be to limit the maximum number of simultaneous SAS sessions a user has.

davidteson
Calcite | Level 5

Actually, our ultimate goal is only to limit sas-sessions by memory, because we have installed SAS Marketing Automation and need enough memory space for the SAS Customer Intelligence sessions. SAS CI Studio is our priority and we do not wish grant a privilege to SAS Enterprise Guide users.

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Yes, I guessed that much, it is a common practice on several CI deployments.

As mentioned, I think your best approach would be to have 2 SASApp servers (at least): one for CI only (which also probably is on UTF-8,unicode as locale), where you can set higher resource limits, and another one for your SAS EG users (or Addin, etc), with lower resource limits per session. Which you can do with MEMSIZE, CPUCOUNT, MAXMEMSZ, etc.

davidteson
Calcite | Level 5

Yes, I think this could be a good option and finally, will be applied. However, I would like to try another solution. My PM insists that we could limit the memory-size sessions modifying the parameters in the SAS configuration files (i.e., sasv9.cfg or sasv9_usermods.cfg), for each OS user in their home directories.

What do you think about that? Could it be a suitable solution?

Thanks in advance.

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

If you manage to assign dinamically the SAS Workspace's sasv9.cfg by user home folder without impacting on the SAS Workspace's sasv9.cfg for CI, it would sound as a reasonable option to me. Beware that if you select this option, your maintenance efforts will increase with a multiplier equals to the number of users.

My option would be, still, to have 2 separate SASApps, because of several reasons and it is good practice. But my option does not have to be yours!

If you do it on this way, please share your implementation 🙂

TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

I vote with Juan, myself. Note his comment about the additional work having to modify each home directory. Also, what stops me as a knowledgeable SAS user from resetting my memory limit to whatever I want?

Tom

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation