BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
nandanosho
Obsidian | Level 7

Dear All,

Currently my application is deployed on the SAS E.G with version 4.1. Now I want to upgarade it with 6.1. So  I want to know that what more functionality is present in version 6.1.  And how much effort will be required for upgradation.

Thanks and Regards.

6 REPLIES 6
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

It not that much on the Eguide version even more important is the SAS version

Eguide 6.1 is related to SAS 9.4 see: What's New in SAS(R) 9.4 and What's New in SAS(R) 9.4

to review intermediate versions:

EGuide 5.1 part of SAS 9.3 What's New in SAS(R) 9.3  it also having a chapter on EG 4.2

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

I am not sure if you can directly migrate EG 4.1 to EG 6.1. It's may be worth to verify with SAS TechSupport.

SAS(R) 9.3 Guide to Software Updates

SAS(R) 9.4 Guide to Software Updates

As for "what's new": Every SAS EG release has a "What's new section". May be worth browsing through these chapters per release.

I am more of a coder so changes to tasks are mostly lost on me. What I really like in the more recent EG versions are things like "syntax suggestion", "integrated syntax help", "ctrl I" to clean up the code, etc.  

I believe in the most recent version there was a focus on better integration of SAS VA and high-performance stuff. ...The "what's new" should give you all this information.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

So the OP must upgrade EG and if so then I would assume it should be to the most recent version.

How I read the "Guide to Software Updates" there is no direct migration path and one would need a "double hop" from 4.1 to 5.1 and then from 5.1 to 6.1 - but that's something to be confirmed with SAS as may-be there is a direct path.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

@Patrick we are possible going far beyond op's question.

When it is PC-based, install the new version eguide 6.1 sas 9.4, not metadata issues involved.

I am hoping the Eguide conversion support for egp-files is supporting that type of jump. From 4.1 to 5.1 is surely possible.  But reverting that not.

It could be 5.1/6.1 eguide is not that differnet.

When it is a metadata environment the conversion tools support migration 9.1 to 9.3 and 9.3 to 9.4 but not immediate.

For that you have to think on what to do. It also about how much is already there in 9.1 and whether it could be rebuilds from fresh in 9.4    

---->-- ja karman --<-----
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

EG 4.1 to EG 6.1 is a big jump -- 7 years worth of software updates.

The big changes:

- SAS 9.2 and later have a much different SAS Metadata structure than SAS 9.1.3 offered.  As a result, if you have items like Stored Processes, metadata libraries, and other metadata item you might find them moved around or referenced differently.  The Migration Wizard tool (included with EG 6.1) can help you to remap your EG projects if items have moved.

- The EG UI is much different.  The top-level menus, content windows, and window management have changed and will take some getting used to.  It's a good idea to re-familiarize yourself by using the Help->Getting Started tutorial.

- SAS capabilities have advanced quite a bit, notably in the ODS output and use of ODS Graphics throughout many SAS procedures.  This is a good thing -- you should take the time to learn what's there so that you can improve your SAS processes to take advantage of the new features.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation