BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
I'm trying to create a Time dimension trough a Proc Olap but I have been having a fustrating experience.

The date is stored in my detailed table under the column "Reported_Month". The dates are stored as "01Jul2009", 01Aug2009", etc... I've attached my code and the log with errors.

Where is my code:

dimension Time
hierarchies=(Time)
type=time
;
hierarchy Time
levels=(Year Quarter Month Day)
;
level Year
type=year
column=reported_month
format=year.
;
level Quarter
type=quarters
column=reported_month
format=qtr.
;
level Month
type=months
column=reported_month
format=monname.
;
level Day
type=days
column=reported_month
format=weekdate.
;

Here is the LOG with errors!:

49 dimension Time
50 hierarchies=(Time)
51 type=time
52 ;
53 hierarchy Time
54 levels=(Year Quarter Month Day)
55 ;
56 level Year
57 type=year
58 column=reported_month
______
ERROR 22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: ;, CAPTION, DESC, EMPTY, IGNORE_EMPTY, SORT_ORDER, TYPE.

ERROR 76-322: Syntax error, statement will be ignored.

59 format=year.
60 ;
61 level Quarter
62 type=quarters
63 column=reported_month
______
ERROR 22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: ;, CAPTION, DESC, EMPTY, IGNORE_EMPTY, SORT_ORDER, TYPE.

64 format=qtr.
65 ;
66 level Month
67 type=months
68 column=reported_month
______

69 format=monname.
70 ;
71 level Day
72 type=days
73 column=reported_month
______
3 The SAS System 09:38 Wednesday, October 7, 2009

74 format=weekdate.
75 ;
5 REPLIES 5
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
Since you've posted this question in 2 different forums, you might consider contacting Tech Support, instead. They should be your resource of choice for urgent questions where you need a definitive response. To open a track with Tech Support, use the following link:
http://support.sas.com/ctx/supportform/createForm

cynthia
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Humbly, I disagree and would suggest some fundamental desk-checking while also at least make a reasonable attempt to exhaust available resources that are accessible to SAS users, starting with the SAS.COM support site. As I commented in the other duplicate-forum post, maybe start out by explaining what is expected, given the SAS log diagnostics generated thus far.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
deleted_user
Not applicable
i see you guys aren't solution driven, rather pass the buck...

I obviously check the sas.com support site.

What do you want me to explain?
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
I'm not sure what you mean by solution-driven. I don't use PROC OLAP that often. When I design cubes, it is with OLAP Cube Studio, so I rarely play with OLAP code. Scott's suggestion to compare your code to the documented examples is a good one to help you debug. You could have a simple syntax error that would be revealed if you compared your code to the documentation.

Urgent questions are not appropriate to the forum. If you have an immediate need your best resource is Tech Support. Since you posted the question twice, I interpreted your question to be of an urgent nature. If you have the time to wait for a response, then by all means, wait and see whether someone with PROC OLAP experience can help you here.

Since I don't use PROC OLAP, I'm not a good resource.

cynthia
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Depends on how one interprets "solution-driven". I tend to assist, guide, lead, encourage, and on-occasion, share example code. Others may be willing to simply crank-out code in response to an individual's post - as is, their own choice. I find it more effective to offer input/feedback to other posters ideally to help with the SAS learning experience.

No doubt, there will be a time (now or later) where a piece of code will need to be supported, modified, hence starting out by understanding the SAS language and the specific code piece is definitely a plus. Basic desk-checking techniques and self-initiated DOC review is a good start and offers some enhanced credibility, IMHO. Also, that sticky CAPS LOCK KEY and exclamation character doesn't help convey the important details.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation