BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
I am marginally incompetent, so bare with me if this is child's play and/or explained in 800 places in these forums.

I have EG 4.2. Windows XP. Excel 2007.

When attempt to import the data, I can get to File> Import Data>Open>Import data from " ". That's where it stops. The "Next" button is not highlighted, only "Cancel" and "Help". The "Help" button isn't helping either. All of the fields are filled out. I can click on "Browse" to select a server, but that doesn't seem to be of much use either.

The only thing I can think of is that the data in excel is not formatted properly to be imported, but I have yet to find instructions on how it should arranged in Excel.

I'm ready to learn!
7 REPLIES 7
RichardH_sas
SAS Employee
Welcome to the forum! To go through the import in EG 4.2, you started out correctly with File / Import Data. For Excel files, typically you'd then click on "Local Computer" on the left and navigate to the Excel file you're interested in. Once you've selected the Excel file itself, it should then bring you into the import data wizard where you'll see "1 of 4 Specify Data". Your Excel file should be listed as the source data file.

Let us know if this works. If you haven't found it yet, you can also get a brief introduction to using Enterprise Guide from Help / Getting Started Tutorial. This is a free, web-based tutorial on using the 4.2 software. SAS also offers a (not free) introductory training class on using Enterprise Guide: https://support.sas.com/edu/schedules.html?id=492&ctry=US.

Feel free to keep posting these sorts of questions on the forum too - that's what we're here for. Just wanted to give you some additional resources in case you were interested!
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thanks for the reply.

I have gotten through that point before (and just now again). I arrive at the "1 of 4" screen when I'm stymied. At that point, none of the buttons below are available for use except for "Cancel" and "Help". I believe the "Next" is what I want at this point, but it isn't usable.

I have looked through a number of the tutorials and help, but I still haven't been able to find anything different than what I'm already doing.

Any more help would be greatly appreciated.
Technolero
Pyrite | Level 9
I would suspect that the "Next" button is not available because you may not have provided a valid server or library for the output. Are you running the project locally or on a server?
deleted_user
Not applicable
I think you may be correct. I am running it locally.

After I start a new project, do I go to Tools>Assign Project Library?
deleted_user
Not applicable
I believe the above comment may have something to do with my issues. I am trying to assign a library and am running into some issues with selecting the path. It says that the "Class is not registered".

In an attempt to learn more, I tried to work through the tutorial. When I opened the "Products" and "Orders" data set, I received an error message saying "Class not registered".

Fire away!
Technolero
Pyrite | Level 9
Whenever I have seen messages like "Class not registered" it typically pointed toward an installation/configuration problem. This will probably require contact with SAS Tech Support about your installation.
RichardH_sas
SAS Employee
Ironically, I received a "class not registered" error just tonight on my computer. Very frustrating! It would definitely would be a good idea to contact tech support since there could be a number of little problems. They should get you squared away. http://support.sas.com/techsup/contact/

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation