BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
elwayfan446
Barite | Level 11

I have been given a new laptop at work and I am finishing up installation of SAS Enterprise Guide.  I have just realized that the embedded program history did not transfer over during the process my company uses.  Can someone tell me where SAS stores the embedded program histories so I can move them over to the new install?  I don't want to lose all of that history of changes to my programs.

Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12
elwayfan446
Barite | Level 11

Good morning!  I am hoping someone might be able to chime in on this for me today.  Thanks!

AlanC
Barite | Level 11

Check here: %APPDATA%\Roaming\SAS\EnterpriseGuide\7.1\mru.config

https://github.com/savian-net
elwayfan446
Barite | Level 11

I am currently on version 8.2.  When I browse to the APPDATA Enterprise Guide folder, I have different options.

elwayfan446_0-1619032464319.png

Inside of those:

elwayfan446_1-1619032510114.png

elwayfan446_3-1619032548471.png

The History.xml file looked promising but it is just a history of what has gone on in Enterprise Guide, not a code change history.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I assume you are referring to the GIT integration with Enterprise Guide that tracks history. That will be stored in a GIT repository in a location of your choosing set up in the EG menu Tools / Manage GIT connections. You will need to check the settings on your old PC to see where these were pointing. It would best practice to have this pointing at a network share, not a local drive so at least it gets backed up.

elwayfan446
Barite | Level 11
We don't have a GIT repository. My understanding is that EG just stores it locally on the machine somewhere if not connected to a repository.
SASKiwi
PROC Star

From what I understand, program history is only available for programs you embed in EG projects. If this is correct then I would expect all embedded program versions to be stored in the corresponding EG project files, not somewhere else separately. Have you switched on Version Control in EG on your new PC? If so I would then expect it to recognize history in existing projects.

elwayfan446
Barite | Level 11

Yes, version control has been turned on but that history isn't there.  That is what made me think there was a file that didn't get moved from my old PC to the new PC that stores all that history for embedded programs.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I suggest you track this to SAS Tech Support. I'm just responding based on what I read in the EG documentation which isn't entirely clear on this subject.

elwayfan446
Barite | Level 11

I wish I could do that myself but I have to go through the proper channels with my company and they actually contact tech support if they can't figure it out.  Lot's of red tape that takes forever.  I will do that as a last resort.  I appreciate all the advise and hopefully someone comes along that has seen this before and figured it out.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@elwayfan446 - From what I understand an EG project is just a zip file so you could point a zip tool (eg 7-zip) at an EGP file on your old computer just to see if you can spot any embedded program versions. Just a thought.

AlanC
Barite | Level 11

I replied worng so got a kickback. What I mentioned was git but sounds like that isn't it. Best thing I can suggest is check  your AppData area. Your environment may be very different than mine. Find a unique string that corresponds to something you saved and search appdata for it including all sub-directories.

I doubt it is lost and AppData is the best place to look. Make sure you search in all locations including hidden folders. 

I tried to replicate your scenario to no avail (didn't spend much time either). SAS would probably use git behind the scenes even is doing it local. Look for folders that are named '.git'.

https://github.com/savian-net

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation