BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ckx
Quartz | Level 8 ckx
Quartz | Level 8

I use EG 4.3 on my laptop at the office and EG 4.3 via VMWare for remote working. At present, EG on VMWare retains its settings between VMWare sessions but unfortunately, that is going to change. Apparently, the current VMWare configuration costs a lot of resources and IT wants to setup VMWare so that EG will be like a fresh install for each new VMWare session.

Therefore, I'm investigating ways to synchronize settings between my local EG and EG under VMWare. What I've discovered for myself so far:

• "%appdata%\SAS\EnterpriseGuide\4.3\EGOptions.xml" contains most EG options in "Tools", "Options".
  • %appdata%\SAS\MetadataServerProfiles\ConfigurationV43.xml" contains server settings

Two questions remain:

• Program editor settings: Things like line numbers but especially editor macros.
  • Project Recovery settings:My local %appdata% settings are different from the VMWare %appdata% settings. Can I configure the "Project Recovery" section of "Tools", "Options" to use the %appdata% environment variable?

I tried filling in "%appdata%" in the project recovery location but that generated an error and EG created a new folder named "%appdata%". Is there a way to do this?

Thanks for any help,

John Hendrickxeg,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
CaseySmith
SAS Employee

EG's program editor settings are stored in the Windows registry (ex. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SAS Institute Inc.\Enhanced Editor).  So, if your Windows registry settings are not preserved between VMware sessions, you'd need to export that key to a .reg file, then run the .reg file to recreate the registry keys each time.

Regarding the Project Recovery path, as you noted, EG 4.3 doesn't accept system environment variables such as %appdata% in the project recovery path option.  You can workaround that by removing the "projectRecoveryPath" xml element from EGOptions.xml altogether.  In which case, it will use the default... the path that "%appdata%\SAS\EnterpriseGuide\4.3\ProjectRecovery" resolves to.

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
CaseySmith
SAS Employee

EG's program editor settings are stored in the Windows registry (ex. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SAS Institute Inc.\Enhanced Editor).  So, if your Windows registry settings are not preserved between VMware sessions, you'd need to export that key to a .reg file, then run the .reg file to recreate the registry keys each time.

Regarding the Project Recovery path, as you noted, EG 4.3 doesn't accept system environment variables such as %appdata% in the project recovery path option.  You can workaround that by removing the "projectRecoveryPath" xml element from EGOptions.xml altogether.  In which case, it will use the default... the path that "%appdata%\SAS\EnterpriseGuide\4.3\ProjectRecovery" resolves to.

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

ckx
Quartz | Level 8 ckx
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks for the information. I was afraid it would be that way with EG editor settings, I'd looked through the other configuration files. Good tip about the project recovery location.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation