BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Caribu
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I have a numeric format column with YYYYMM from which I would like to subtract one month which is fine unless the month is january. How can I make the code for when YYYYMM = XXXX01 then it should subtract 89 instead of 1 inorder to get the right year and month? In other words, how can I tell SAS to only look at the last to digits (ie MM) to decide if it should subtract by 89 or 1?

Your help is much appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

First of all, dates and date-related values should always be kept as SAS date values, and formatted as needed.

For months, you store the first of the month and use a format that displays only year and month.

So you first convert your value, and then use the proper function:

data want;
set have;
datevar = input(put(datevar,6.)!!'01',yymmdd8.);
format datevar yymmn6.;
datevar = intnx('month',datevar,-1);
run;

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Use the SAS function intnx, this takes into account years:

want=intnx('month',your_date,-1);
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

First of all, dates and date-related values should always be kept as SAS date values, and formatted as needed.

For months, you store the first of the month and use a format that displays only year and month.

So you first convert your value, and then use the proper function:

data want;
set have;
datevar = input(put(datevar,6.)!!'01',yymmdd8.);
format datevar yymmn6.;
datevar = intnx('month',datevar,-1);
run;

Caribu
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you, this seems to work just fine. Only I need to have the date stored as a numeric since the datawarehouse stores dates as integers. So I've gotten the YYYYMM I needed in date format. How do I get it back to an integer with the same numbers (YYYYMM)?

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Just do the conversion to a new variable, so you keep the original one. Although there is absolutely no reason for it. Dates are dates, storing them any other way just causes unnecessary work (you experienced that right here!) and is therefore stupid. I don't advise SAS newbies to do stupid things.

And keep in mind that SAS also stores dates as integers, counting the days from 01-01-1960 in both directions. That's why i could convert in place.

This is also the method used by all database systems and spreadsheet calculators I know of. They just use different basedates (31-12-1899 with most spreadsheet sw).

The yymmn6. format already displays the data the way you want it, so you just need to input that into a number:

silly_date = input(put(real_date,yymmn6.),6.);

Caribu
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you very much!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation