BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
JuanDaniel
Quartz | Level 8

Hi!

How can i specify a Server when I create a new library. I have SASApp and SASAppVA and when I'm going to create a library through LIBNAME statement I dont know if it's possible do it.

The problem is that the libraries of Visual Analytics are in SASAppVA and I need that are visibles in SASApp. If I assign the libraries through SCM to SASApp, when I refresh SASApp in the Enterprise Guide I get an error: [Error] The libref VALIBLA is not assigned.

I have 1 Server and VA it's connected to it. In the VA machine I have the SAS Data Surveyor for SAP (I dont know why it's here) and I need download a few tables from SAP through Data Surveyor and move this tables to an accesible library from EG machine.

Thx

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @JuanDaniel,

your description is a bit confusing to me but let me give it a try.

First, VALIBLA is a special VA library, corresponding to a LASR server, which can only live within the SASAppVA, hence if you will assign it to SASApp, it won't work, indeed.

The SAP one is another story, and everything will depend on how it was configured your SAP connection and your current deployment, which is not very clear to me at this moment, either.

I guess SASApp and SASAppVA are running on different physical servers, right? And probably they have different SAS licenses applied to them.

Let me explain to you an easy example on how the library assignment to a SASApp works in SAS:

Say you have a library LIBA pointing to SAS data sets (on C:\SAS\LIBA) on the server A, which has the SASAppVA.

Say you want to assign this library to SASAppV, which is on server B, and server B does not have C:\SAS\LIBA, ok?

Once assigned, when you start a SAS session on SASApp (server B), it will try to do a LIBNAME LIBA BASE C:\SAS\LIBA, which is impossible, because you don't have this folder on server B.

And that is why it fails in your case.

Therefore, on EG you could run a piece of code that will run on your SASAppVA, drop the data in form of SAS datasets into a shared folder/location to both SASAppVA and SASApp, and then run another piece of code on SASApp, with that data as input.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Damo
SAS Employee

Hi @JuanDaniel

Can you clarify what your environment looks like?

Do you have a single environment with 2 servers, the VA part being installed on one of those servers (and maybe you have Office Analytics on the other one for instance) ?

I'm sure they are plenty of options available to you but one could be:

- From SAS Enterprise Guide, connect to SASAppVA

- Retrieve your SAP tables

If you have a shared folder accessible by both SASApp & SASAppVA, a libname will be sufficient.

Otherwise, move the data (with your system tools/commands) and define a new library on SASApp.

Hope that helps (and makes sense).

Cheers,
Damo 

JuanDaniel
Quartz | Level 8

@Damo @JuanS_OCS Thx for the response 😉

I have 2 machines: SAS office Analytics Server and SAS Visual Analytics (in this machine I have the SAS Data Surveyor for SAP).

Then I have clients with EG. I didn't design this architecture and I have some doubts.

In VA machine they connect to SAP through Data Surveyor and download the tables in this SYSTEM, if do I share the folder of this tables with the Office Analytics Server can I use this folder in EG creating a library?

In EG I have 2 servers SASApp and SASAppVA, and they have a script with LIBNAME statment for each library. If i want to include the new library for the SAP tables, how can I specify if the library go to SASAppVA or to SASApp in the same statement? I know that i can choose the connection through the menu of EG but i dont know if it's possible to do through commands.

Thx so much

Damo
SAS Employee

Hi @JuanDaniel

Looks like Juan is a popular name here Smiley Very Happy

Instructions we gave you, @JuanS_OCS and I, should apply here.

From EG, when you are connected to the SASAppVA server context, you can retrieve SAP data you need in a SAS format (library).

Then you can switch to SASApp and define a new library (if the physical files *.sas7bdat are on the other server, you may need to copy them unless you have a shared folder)

Cheers,

"Juan" Damo

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @JuanDaniel,

your description is a bit confusing to me but let me give it a try.

First, VALIBLA is a special VA library, corresponding to a LASR server, which can only live within the SASAppVA, hence if you will assign it to SASApp, it won't work, indeed.

The SAP one is another story, and everything will depend on how it was configured your SAP connection and your current deployment, which is not very clear to me at this moment, either.

I guess SASApp and SASAppVA are running on different physical servers, right? And probably they have different SAS licenses applied to them.

Let me explain to you an easy example on how the library assignment to a SASApp works in SAS:

Say you have a library LIBA pointing to SAS data sets (on C:\SAS\LIBA) on the server A, which has the SASAppVA.

Say you want to assign this library to SASAppV, which is on server B, and server B does not have C:\SAS\LIBA, ok?

Once assigned, when you start a SAS session on SASApp (server B), it will try to do a LIBNAME LIBA BASE C:\SAS\LIBA, which is impossible, because you don't have this folder on server B.

And that is why it fails in your case.

Therefore, on EG you could run a piece of code that will run on your SASAppVA, drop the data in form of SAS datasets into a shared folder/location to both SASAppVA and SASApp, and then run another piece of code on SASApp, with that data as input.

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

So it seems @Damo 🙂 The "Juanes".

If your users are downloading the SAP data to a local location to be uploaded to LASR, you could create that local location as a shared one with the SASApp server. Once you do, you could just define the library as a UNC path (\\myserver\myfolder) and then assign this library to both SASApp and SASAppVA. SASApp and SASAppVA will access this path through a shared folder.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 9 likes
  • 3 in conversation