BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
amitvermajhs
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I have a data size of approx 2 TB , so what should be the size of my work library when I have 4 parallel users on SAS EG.

I also have files like SAS_util***********_servername being created in my work library, what are these files for.

Regards

Amit Verma

5 REPLIES 5
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

SAS_util* is the place for utility files that are used during sorts and sql steps.

Their physical location can be controlled through the utilloc= system option.

For starters, I'd calculate the size for WORK as

(size of largest dataset) * 3 * (maximum number of concurrent users)

Activate (or have activated) the quota system for that filesystem and set reasonable quotas; otherwise one runaway step of a user can stop server functionality for all others.

amitvermajhs
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the guidance.

How do I find the size of the largest dataset , that exists in my system.

Regards

Amit verma

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Using the operating system:

Determine the physical paths of your libraries.

Log on to the server (PuTTY or similar), change directory to that locations, and use dir or ls (depending on operating system) *.sas7bdat to display your datasets.

In UNIX, you can do

du -k *.sas7bdat|sort -nr|head

(display disk usage for all .sasbdat files, sort numeric reverse by first column, display only the first 10)

in a given directory.

Using SAS:

proc sql;
select
  max(filesize)
from dictionary.tables
group by libname
;
quit;

This requires that all libraries on your system are active in your process (libname assigned) at the time you run this.

dictionary.tables is a virtual table that is built dynamically on request.

amitvermajhs
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the reply.

Just a confirmation that the size that we receive from the proc output is an Kilobyte ?

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The filesize in dictionary.tables (or sashelp.vtable, which is a view to the same dynamic resource) is in bytes; the output of my UNIX command is in Kbytes, because of the -k commandline parameter.

Without the -k, du would report disk blocks, which is not that informative, as it may be dependent on individual filesystem parameters.

If you want to make both outputs comparable, divide the value from dictionary.tables by 1024.

By testing I found that there may be slight differences between the filesize value reported in dictionary.tables and proc contents (proc contents has the correct one). But that is in the range of a few K and therefore negligible.

There is also a slight difference between file size and the du value, that depends on technical aspects of the filesystem interna. Also negligible.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation