BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SASdevAnneMarie
Barite | Level 11

Hello Experts,

I have a question. I don't understand why my SAS egp project became very huge (10 365 Ko):

MarieT_0-1598601808551.png

I use the proc datasets to delete all the table in library work, so I yhave no table.

Thank you very much! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Quentin
Super User

No log is a scary thing, but you can do it with:

proc printto log="NUL:";
run;
BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Don Henderson presenting on using hash functions (not hash tables!) to segment data on June 12. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
SASdevAnneMarie
Barite | Level 11
Thank you for your answer!
I have no data in project and I put the "options nosource";
I still have the same size of project. 😞

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@SASdevAnneMarie wrote:
Thank you for your answer!
I have no data in project and I put the "options nosource";
I still have the same size of project. 😞

Please re-read my post with proper diligence. I explicitly did not talk about data, but results and logs. Check all those with your own eyes.

SASdevAnneMarie
Barite | Level 11
Thank you, I see.
I have no results because I used "ODS NORESULTS;"

I can't understand why the log is not deleted with "options nosource";

Thank you!
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The SOURCE option controls if the original code statements are sent to the log or not. NOTEs, WARNINGs and ERRORs are still sent to the log. If you repeat 10 steps for 5000 times in a macro, you'll have all those from 50.000 steps in the log.

If you have lots of data errors in your data, and a large value in the ERRORS option, this will also cause a large number of log messages.

SASdevAnneMarie
Barite | Level 11
Thank you Kurt,

There is some option for not generating the log?
Thank you!
Quentin
Super User

No log is a scary thing, but you can do it with:

proc printto log="NUL:";
run;
BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Don Henderson presenting on using hash functions (not hash tables!) to segment data on June 12. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
SASdevAnneMarie
Barite | Level 11
Thank you!
That works, my project is not huge any more!

Best regards,
Marie
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Instead of suppressing the log as a whole, you should look for the reason why it grows so big, and correct that. Very often, overly large logs point to problems (extraneous NOTEs, data ERROR's, ...) or to inefficient code (10000 data steps repeated in a macro loop instead of a single data step with by group processing).

So you should review your whole process very carefully, and pay attention to details. Garbage code stays garbage code, even if you refuse to look.

Quentin
Super User

I think .egp files are still zipped xml.  So if you're really curious what's driving the file size, you could make a copy of the egp file, unzip it to a folder, and poke around a bit to see which files are the largest and what's in them.  You don't say much about what's in the egp file, so it's hard to guess.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

EG projects do not store your data, but they do keep your ODS results and log output.  If you have Project Log enabled, you might want to clear it (see Project Properties, Project Log -- check online help for details).

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation