BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Sawaskov
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I cant get around this problem... i would like to edit the code... but it says the code is Read-only and that I can create a copy to modify...

But Im the only SAS user in my company... and I simply want to ammend the code... but cant...

Regards

8 REPLIES 8
ChrisBrooks
Ammonite | Level 13

This is most likely caused by you having insufficient permissions at the operating system level - if the code is on Linux or UNIX you may have to consult your system administrator.

Sawaskov
Calcite | Level 5

how would i know what code Im on?

Basically I have a whole project coded in SAS EG... and now i just which to change a date in the one node... and I cant... 

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Is the .egp file write-protected, or the code (.sas) files that are linked from the project?

If the first, copy the .egp into your user directory, and edit it there (and use that copy later on).

If the latter, embed the codes into the project, or do a "save as" to a location where you can write.

Astounding
PROC Star

If this is a .sas file you need to edit, Unix has what some might call a flaw to work around this.  Even though you don't have write permissions, you may be able to delete the file.  So very carefully ...

• Copy the file to another file in the same folder.  It's important to use the same folder, to make sure you have the permissions to create a new file in that folder.  If so, you are the creator of the copy, and have full permissions for it.  If not, STOP (this won't work).
  • Delete the original file.  (Thanks, Unix.)
  • Move the copy back to the original location.

Since you are now the creator of the file, you have full permissions for it.

Anusha26
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I have a project containing .sas code. i was trying to use run/query option by right clicking on the code. But , i am unable to run the code as it is saying read only. I have checked my permissions to those libararies i am using in .sas code. I have access to it. I am wondering why this error is still appearinng if i have don't have permission issue. Any suggestions would help me a lot. Thanks In advance.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@Anusha26 wrote:

Hi,

I have a project containing .sas code. i was trying to use run/query option by right clicking on the code. But , i am unable to run the code as it is saying read only. I have checked my permissions to those libararies i am using in .sas code. I have access to it. I am wondering why this error is still appearinng if i have don't have permission issue. Any suggestions would help me a lot. Thanks In advance.

Because EG wants to add things to the project when it runs nodes (like logs), you need to be able to write to the .egp file. I suspect that your problem is found there. Look at the Windows permissions of the .egp file, or make your own copy of it.

Anusha26
Calcite | Level 5

egerr.PNG

This is the error message i am getting while running the code.After making a copy also, it is not running. Checked permissions for all libraries in the code i am using. 

CaseySmith
SAS Employee

You cannot directly edit the code generated by point-and-click tasks in EG, such as the Query Builder.  If you attempt to edit the code in a task, you'll get the notification dialog you shared, indicating that you can't edit the task-generated code, but EG will conveniently create a copy of the code in a new program node for you if you wish.

Casey

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation