BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Naz10
Fluorite | Level 6

How can I change defaults in the libname statement? The default option for READBUFF is 250 rows. How can I increase it without having to specify it in the libname statement?

Here is the link for the readbuff option for reference: https://documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/9.4_3.5/acreldb/n0uefiwns2056ln1bo8ukykj2724.htm

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Only by specifying it on the Oracle LIBNAME or CONNECT statement.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Quentin
Super User

It's usually easiest to specify it on the libname statement. But, as the docs you linked to show that it is also a data set option, you can specify it when you read in a data set as well, e.g.:

data want;
  set mydb.have (readbuff=1000);
run;

where mydb is a libref pointing to a library with some SAS/ACCESS engine that supports readbuff.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Mike Raithel presenting on validating data files on Wednesday July 17. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
Naz10
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks you for the response!

I'm looking for an option to increase the default. Maybe somewhere in the config files? So far I've tried increasing BUFFSIZE, but that didn't help.

Quentin
Super User
BUFSIZE is a system option, but READBUFF is not. I think READBUFF is only a libname option and a data set option. I think each SAS/ACCESS engine will have its own READBUFF default, appropriate for the engine. I don’t think there is a concept of a global READBUFF option.
BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Mike Raithel presenting on validating data files on Wednesday July 17. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
Naz10
Fluorite | Level 6

Is there a way to modify READBUFF default for Oracle SAS/ACCESS engine?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Only by specifying it on the Oracle LIBNAME or CONNECT statement.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@Naz10 wrote:

Is there a way to modify READBUFF default for Oracle SAS/ACCESS engine?

I'm pretty sure the answer is NO.

Often such DB access uses a functional user via an authdomain. If that's also the case for you then I'd define this library once in SAS Metadata and there you define all the options you like.

I normally change the defaults for:

readbuff

insertbuff

dbcommit

dbmaxtext

and pre-assign the library but set option defer=yes

SASKiwi
PROC Star

AFAIK, there is no way of setting a default value globally for READBUFF across any following LIBNAMEs. In fact I would caution against changing this from the default unless testing has proved that it improves performance. In my experience I've only changed the default in external database LIBNAMEs.  

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation