BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
AmitSingh
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

Our requirement is the schedule the SAS EG program/jobs/projects which are located on network drive. And theschedling should be done from SAS server. Network drive is accessable from SAS server. 

We tried to access the SAs EG projects by logging on SAS server and accessing network drive. We got error message pop up (Cannot find the file "Z:\XXXXXX.egp" on "My Computers". Also attaching the same in the post. 

Please suggest how the scheduling of the SAS EG jobs can be done from SAS server which are placed in network drive.

Regards,

Amit

4 REPLIES 4
SASKiwi
PROC Star

EG projects can only be scheduled on a PC. If you want to schedule on your SAS server you need to export the EG project to SAS program(s) using the EG File Export options then schedule the programs. What scheduler are you intending to use? Some are available via SAS Management Console. Check with your SAS administrator if you are not sure what's available.

AmitSingh
Obsidian | Level 7
We have a common network drive on which multiple SAS EG projects are placed. And we would like to schedule these projects from SAS EG which can be open from SAS server(windows). We also have dedicated windows user for SAS server which have access on network drive to access SAS Projects. But when I try to open the SAS projects. It gave error message "Cannot find the file "Z:\XXXXXX.egp" on "My Computers".
The reason why we want to do the scheduling from SAS server and from our local machine is that our local machine can be shut down or not available in network many times. But SAS server is always up and running and in network. So please suggest how scheduling can be done from SAS sever or some other way around.
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Scheduling on your SAS server is a very good choice, for the reasons you have explained. As I already said EG projects can only be scheduled on a PC where EG is installed.

So you need to export your EG project to SAS programs (in EG - File Export) and then schedule those. You can still put these SAS programs on the same network drive if you wish but your SAS server must be able to reference that drive. There is probably no Z drive mapped on your server. If my explanation is not clear please let me know.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

I also STRONGLY suggest to schedule only SAS code, and never EG projects in a production environment

Why?

- projects require the presence of a working SAS EG on the host executing the scheduled objects. This means additional maintenance, and, more importantly, only works on Windows "servers", as EG is totally dependent on Windows because of (argh) .NET. You also need to make sure that the metadata configuration of the server-side EG matches that of the clients.

- Base SAS codes are text files that can be viewed/edited with a simple text editor on ANY operating system. To execute them, you only need a working SASFoundation (not even a metadata connection for most of the jobs), and a proper autoexec.sas that contains the library definitions needed for your scheduled codes. Totally platform-independent, and any scheduling software can be made to execute the necessary batch or shell-script files.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation