BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sas_9
Obsidian | Level 7

hi guys,

i am wondering what kind authentication would be good for SQL server db connection, Windows Active Directory Authentication or SQL Server Login credential?

please advise...

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hmm.  I guess I thought that was a binary choice for the designer of the SQL database; I've never been given a choice of which to use.  I've also never seen any difference in performance between the two methods.

There have been big arguments in the SQL Server community over the years about which to use.  You may find that it is a better question there.

Doc Muhlbaier

Duke

Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

I'd say depending which role you are playing. If you are an individual user, there probably is not much of difference. If you are a SAS Admin, then I would suggest you opt for SQL Sign-on. We have a service account for SQL server (password never expired), and we include users who have been granted access into that group. It is a lot easier to manage comparing to IWA. For one, the security. Users have to go through metadata to access SQL server, as they don't actually have SQL signon by themselves. For two, it is less complicated if there is a problem, you only need to talk to SQL DBA, while if using IWA, you also need to include Windows Security team.

Just my 2 cents,

Haikuo

PaulHomes
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

If you can get your multi-hop IWA config working, I'd suggest continuing IWA all the way to the database. It means that your SAS platform users will present their own identity to SQL Server which provides better auditability and access control options for your SQL Server DBA's.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation