BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
DipeshGupta
Calcite | Level 5

I have a question.

Is it possible to create SAS Prompts Programmatically..??

I am using a Stored Process Program and to wants to pass the values in the static list prompts through codes. Is it possible..??

If yes, How..??

5 REPLIES 5
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Prompts are defined in metadata. Although it may be possible to create metadata objects programmatically, I would strongly advise against it. One skewed program run and your metadata repository is trashed. Since the repository constitutes one big SPOF, it should be treated with utmost care.

What you can do is to define dynamic prompts that take their data from datasets. You can even create cascading prompts, where the results of a first prompt can be used as a where condition on the following prompt(s).

DipeshGupta
Calcite | Level 5

First, I was using dynamic Prompts only but there I am facing a problem as Dynamic Prompts can only access data from SAS Folders but in my Stored Process Model, I have a library named Model which will be created on the path given by the user so that differeent users or even same user but different sessions can be run without any confusion because the Library name will be same(MODEL) but the data will be stored at different path.

Now the problem occurs with SAS Folders as I can create Library named MODEL at different locations for different users but how can I do this with the SAS Folders. How can I create different SAS Folders for different users or link it with the Library created by different users at different path.

How can I use Dynamic Prompts in such a case..??

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

If the prompt engine from SAS can't handle your issues, consider building the prompts yourself with HTML forms & Javascript. That's how I do such things.

You will have to sharpen your skills in web page creation, of course.

HTML 5

HTML 4

Javascript

(These are the documents I go to when I have to do web programming)

DipeshGupta
Calcite | Level 5

Okay but is there any other solution to my problem that goes through SAS and not through Self Created WebPages..??

Beacuse we are focussing to achieve everything through SAS.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

When you get screws instead of nails, it's time to look for a screwdriver in addition to the hammer.

Maxim 14: Use the right tool.

Trying to use SAS as the do-all Swiss Army Knife won't do it in the long run, IMO. Given the seeming complexity of your project, you should consider getting help from SAS or a SAS consultant.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation