BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Restonian
Calcite | Level 5

I received an email from SAS today saying that SAS OnDemand for Professionals will be terminated on December 31, 2014.  Instead of providing information about a prorated refund, SAS provided a link to a dense legal document where I found this statement:

Termination; Expiration. SAS may terminate this Agreement immediately and discontinue your access to the Software or Service for any violation by you of SAS' intellectual property rights, for any breach of this Agreement or any other reason at SAS' sole discretion. SAS will not be liable for any interruption in usage, data or the Content if access is terminated. SAS will not be obligated to refund any fees to you in the event of any early termination. Obligations in this Agreement that by their nature are continuing will survive termination or expiration. Upon termination or expiration of the Software license hereunder, you agree to de-install, delete and destroy the Software, along with any related user documentation.

Is SAS saying that they will not provide a refund for the unused portion of our 12 month subscription?

6 REPLIES 6
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

SAS OnDemand for Professionals is being retired in favor of a free product – SAS® University Edition! http://www.sas.com/en_us/software/university-edition.html  And the SAS University Edition provides many features that represent an improvement over the SAS OnDemand for Professionals Server. You  do not need an Internet connection to use SAS University Edition; if you put files in a shared location, you can read your own data and program files from your local drive; the product is available internationally and the product highlights the new SAS Studio editor, with autocomplete functions and automatic code generation features, too.

The SAS University Edition can be used for 4 of our certifications (Base SAS Programmer, Advanced SAS Programmer, Clinical Trials Programmer and SAS Certified Statistical Business Analyst) and, because of the ability to read files from your local drive, you are not limited to the course and books data to practice. SAS University Edition includes Base SAS, SAS/STAT, SAS/IML and SAS Access to PC Files along with SAS/Studio. In addition to the free software, we’ve also created a SAS Analytics U community where you can access free how-tutorials and e-Learning (http://support.sas.com/training/us/sp1.html) to get you started, including the SAS Programming 1 and SAS Statistics 1 e-Courses. These courses are the equivalents of what is taught in the classroom or Live Web classroom. Learn more about SAS Analytics U at: https://communities.sas.com/community/sas-analytics-u

The notice that was sent was meant to give SAS OnDemand for Professionals users an opportunity for transition time between now and the end of December. To discuss individual cases or eligibility for a refund, please send mail to training@sas.com and a SAS representative will be happy to reach out to you to discuss options.

cynthia

Restonian
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you for your response. Sadly, my primary motivation for obtaining SAS OnDemand for Professionals was to learn how to use the latest version of SAS Enterprise Guide, which I do not have access to in my current job. While SAS Studio is nice as a basic IDE for SAS, as you know it lacks the advanced features in SAS E.G., which appears to be the de facto interface for SAS in most corporations. Any thoughts on making SAS E.G also free to work with the local SAS install of the SAS University edition?

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

In my experience as an instructor, I have found SAS Enterprise Guide to be a popular interface to SAS, but it is not the only interface that my students use. And although I love Enterprise Guide and the way it generates code for me, most of the time, I end up using the Enterprise Guide code as "starter code" which I modify. So from my perspective, studying programming techniques and syntax can be a very useful skill, in addition to or in conjunction with Enterprise Guide skills.

SAS Studio is meant for students, professors and adult learners, people who want to learn SAS and who (usually) don't otherwise have access to SAS through work or school. Much of that audience is either learning SAS or is focused on certification. Since 4 of our 8 certification exams are programming (code-based) exams, then SAS Studio serves that need. The questions on the certification exams are about SAS syntax and code not about using Display Manager vs using EG vs using SAS Studio.

I've worked with SAS a long time (really, a long time) and in my career, I've had to adjust to many different interfaces that work with SAS. I have very fond memories of the SAS/ASSIST application, it was a great learning tool when I was starting out. And, just let me give a shout out to ROSCOE and WYLBUR and XEDIT as interfaces to SAS.

I can't answer your question about making EG available to work with a local SAS install of the SAS University Edition. It's really not a "local install" of the University Edition. I think of it like a box (the SAS University Edition) inside another box (the virtual machine player -- either VirtualBox or VMware Player) inside another box (your computer). So, that is a decision for other folks, not me. I will send your suggestion to the Product Manager for SAS Studio.

In terms of what SAS Studio can do, I really like the way it has some of the same tasks as Enterprise Guide (see screen shot) -- where I can pick a task and then make choices and watch the code that's generated by the task. To me it seems the best of what Enterprise Guide does, without hiding the code from me. I like that (but that's just my opinion).

cynthia

sas_studio_with_task_code.png
Stacie_SAS
SAS Moderator

Hi Restonian.

Thank you for posting your questions. We are very excited to offer a free learning version of SAS, SAS University Edition. I hope you will download your free copy today and let us know what you think. In addition, we're offering free e-Learning, how-to tutorials, and support resources on the SAS Analytics U community to help you get started.

We will be issuing a pro-rated credit to SAS OnDemand for Professionals customers whose licenses expire after the December 31, 2014 retirement date. You will be contacted with this information soon.

Thank you. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Stacie

Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Restonian, Stacie, Cynthia,

I, too, was disappointed with the University Edition.  For years I taught introductory statistics to physicians who wanted to do research.  Ninety percent had no interest in learning SAS syntax.  I found EGuide a great improvement over the other tools I've used over the years in the course.  SAS Studio is a step backwards for my needs.

Even though the installation of full SAS is a pain in the a**, that hassle pales in comparison to the pain of the SAS data step learning curve.

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi, Doc:

When you're teaching, you can set up a SAS OnDemand for Academics account that uses Enterprise Guide for you and your students to access. See the instructions for how to set up a SODA class here (support.sas.com/ondemand/steps.html) (but you may already know this).

So that is a possibility for teaching. If your physicians are doing their research at a school with an Education Analytics Suite license, then should be able to get access to EG through the school/university license (after they're done with your class).

Our Global Academic Program team works with schools to help professors get what they need to teach. You can contact them at academic@sas.com or visit their web site here (support.sas.com/learn/ap/index.html).

cynthia

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation